Clarification on Wiring

Started by xlr8tn, March 17, 2002, 03:04:04 PM

xlr8tn

The rule:
All engine, transmission, and final drive unit drain plugs and filler caps must be visibly safety wired. Oil filter bolts must be secured with safety wire and spin-on oil filters must be secured with a metal clamp and safety wire or other acceptable means. Fuel and radiator caps are exempt.

What I wired last year:  oil lines with banjo bolts in front of engine (2 sets), clamped oil filter and wired, radiator cap, and drain plug.  I placed grey rtv sealant around the small circles on the right side of the engine (I'm assuming these are the remaining engine, transmission plugs).  This is what I am concerned about.  This passed inspection last year, but I don't want to be in a situation where I'm running around the pits looking for 1/16" bits.  8)

Eric Kelcher

filler cap :P
Sounds like you have everything to me but rather than RTV I would clean that off and safety wire it if you have any question on it. If these are the timing mark inspection holes never seen anyone wire them other than myself.
I like doing axles and cailpers personally but they are not required.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

amaner

Brent,  
Those "circles" on the right side of the engine may  be (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) gallery plugs.  I agree with Eric; i.e., kill the RTV and safety wire 'em.  I tend to err on the side of "over-wiring," though...  :)  Nice meeting you at Summit.  See ya soon.
Andrew
AM #336