CCS SW/PAC Riders Speak up

Started by Zanyeights, February 11, 2003, 06:55:15 AM

Zanyeights

Morning everybody.  

I just printed out the event schedule for Phoenix on the March 15th weekend.  I had hoped that it would show some change in the way the practice is run, with regard to the L/P Sport Rider Day.  It doesn't.

For those that do not know, regular practice runs until lunch and then after lunch there is a continuation of the L/P practice of which riders cannot participate unless they pay $25.  So practice ends for racers at 11:15 and if you do not pay the money you are not on the track again until your race starts at 2:30, at the earliest.  

I have been told more than once that its only $25.  That is not entirely true.  That is two more practice sessions on tires...two more heat cycles, and fuel.  On the old schedule I could run (safely and pretty fast) one entire weekend on one set of tires.  I would run 4 practices (2 each day) a GT race and three sprints.  Now that has increased to 7 practice sessions (I know a racer bitchin about too much tracktime) and really makes those last two races on Sunday a slide fest.  

Here is what I propose (I hate when people propose a problem but no solution):

Move the L/P only (racers pay extra) sessions to the first two in the morning.  This allows the hectic rush in the morning to relax some.  Registration is not so hectic when you are in line for an hour in the morning (combined gate wait and registration, Willow was really rough) and your first practice is already out on the track.  The riders school could still be the last three practice sessions.

This way racers are not "forced" to pay the extra money.  We get all the practice as there is more time for tech and registration and we are not sitting for 3-5 hours before we race.  In addition, the racers could still pay the money if we wanted to gain the extra track time.

Speak up if you have an opinion (for my point or against it, maybe I am missing something) on this.  I have been racing CCS since the 98 season and have never had a negative opininion of the operation.  I really feel they would change it if we let them know how we feel.  I don't think the decision to run practice this was a conscious decision to "extort" more money from the racers so I hold no bitter feelings but I do feel there is a better way of doing it.

Thanks.        

Decreasing_Dave

Ryan, I think your plan is a good one.  

I missed the gate by 20 mins. on Friday nite.  I had to get in the gate Saturday, set up the Toyhauler and bike, tech...you guys know the rest.  I benefitted by pre-entering.   My line for entry confirmation was WAY shorter than that of track entry.

However...I do disagree with some of the threads that fly on this subject.  I raced 2 weekends last year.  So I at least know the difference from then til now.  I really don't think that it's as bad as everyone has gone on about.  I do think that the schedule is extremely full, but the level of inconveniece is far exceeded by the level of bitching thats been going on.  Is the extreme level of bitching being intensified by the lack of race dates over the winter months?? (Begin flaming here)

I have seen some valid arguments, but I've watched them carried onto excess.  You have a good point, and a very good solution.  Thank you for presenting it that way.

OK...send it ;D ;D ;D

Zanyeights

I am not that concerned with the full practices (I raced a 6-hour endurance at VIR a few years back, same difference.  Just teaches you to pass better, safer)...I really don't race to win practice, especially the first couple and to be honest it forces me to go slower the first session or two, ensure I get back in rhythm and reduce the lowside chance going into T3!  

I pre-entered so my line wasn't very long either.  But I did get caught at the gate and by the time I got through tech it was too late for my first outing.  I anted up the money and paid for practice.

MZGirl

Anything that reduces the crazy rush in the morning is a good thing, in my book.  March will be my first race with CCS, and after reading all the threads about what happened at SOW, and considering how small Firebird is, I'm a pretty nervous newbie.  I'm not even licensed with CCS yet.  So I have to get there as early as possible Sat. to give them all my licensing info (luckily I'm already licensed with another organization), get my comp. #, sign up for Sunday races, find a pit spot (I'm guessing this won't be easy at Firebird), get the bikes teched, and remember how to ride Firebird in 3 practice sessions (it's been awhile since I've ridden there).  Hopefully it will all go smoothly, but a little extra time in the morning while the sport riders are out sure would help.

Don't mind the gal at the track with a yellow MZ who will be pulling her hair out....it's just me  ::)

Litespeed

The schedule isn't what you need to worry about, instead concern yourself with finding a parking space.  I'm pretty sure many racers will have to pit in gravel if it turns out like SOW.  As far as the schedule itself, it was more inconvenient than last year but I didn't think it was horrible.  I had more issues with the timeliness of the races being posted than the practice schedule.

Zanyeights

They were short staffed at SOW so I figure the timeliness of the whole situation most likely won't be repeated.

Thanks for the input.

Chef

im in the mw region, and i like the sound of this proposed scheduling....

ike
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

lightweightgp

most excellent idea.

i will have to hit the gates right at open, set up, yank the wheels off my bike, buy new tires, get suited up, register, go bug the tire man, put the wheels back on, saftey wire everything again, tech.  the more time i have to do these things the better.  

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteThe schedule isn't what you need to worry about, instead concern yourself with finding a parking space.  I'm pretty sure many racers will have to pit in gravel if it turns out like SOW.

Someone better leave me space for the Toyhauler from hell.

Dusty isn't going so maybe I'll have some room. ;D

bikerider30

Oh contrare!  I will be there, but probably without the trailer.  I am coming down Sat afternoon and as small as the East track is there would never be room for the mighty trailer!

See ya there, Dusty

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteOh contrare!  I will be there, but probably without the trailer.  I am coming down Sat afternoon and as small as the East track is there would never be room for the mighty trailer!

See ya there, Dusty

That's excellent.

I'm glad to see that you "lowered" your standards enough to participate.

You are welcome to pit with us.  Is Paul going to make it too?

See you there

zx9r-racer

Your idea sounds reasonable to me, 'cept that the organizers will have to ensure that the people paying the $25 get processing priority in the morning.