banquit

Started by the_weggie_man, February 09, 2003, 12:09:14 AM

TZDeSioux

Way too many people in a way too small a place and parking was just about impossible to find but I still had alot of fun. It was cool to meet some of the people I only knew from this board. I hope next year will be a bit more formal and a bit more organized. :)

And where the hell was Ike? I was looking forward to chillin with him but he no show like a mofo.  

Edgar! now that you're married.... you still going to race 15 races a weekend? Wifey going to let you do that?

slclark65

Thanks Bill for thinking I did a good job last year.  I have an event planning background from working at the University of Virginia's Alumni Association.  And I have been around you racers for about 7 years......... :P  Long enough to know you guys too well.  Hopefully they will hear that you guys will dissatisfied with the banquet and get it right next year.  How you guys have a safe and fun year.  

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteGordy,
My hat is off to you for your honesty, it seems when people offer an opinion or tell it like it is- people jump all over you on this BBS in defense of CCS's practices. "trying something new"-how hard is it to put together a dinner and hand out cheap awards.
This is where I got the part about cheap awards, Gordy.  I'm not saying you don't have every right to feel the way you do.  Read my other posts, and it will be clear that I was less than 100% satisfied myself.  I talked my wife into going, and it turned out to be so loud and uncomfortable that she never met anyone or made any friends.  It was my plan to get her more interested in coming to the track with me, but I fear that it backfired.
You couldn't have taken the trophies out of the boxes.  There wasn't any room.  Without the boxes, no one would have gotten their awards home in one piece.  My guess is that the people from Kendals misrepresented their facilities, and somebody lied about the length of the ride from the hotel to the bar.  No one would have been stupid enough to book this stuff otherwise.  I've been in that situation before.  Operate from a base of misinformation, then take the grief when it all goes wrong.  
Yes, Kevin was a bit harsh, but at this point he was obviously the captian of the sinking ship.  Hey!  I was mad for about the first ten minutes.  After that, too many hugs, handshakes, backslaps, and beers had come my way for me to stay angry.  A family reunion is a family reunion, no matter where it's held.  I'm over it.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Protein Filled

Hey K3, I really liked your speech. ;D ;D

I agree with the thought that next time it should be held at a more "proper" location. For the first ten minutes I kept on waiting for the moment were they were going to open some back door to a banquet room where we would go to receive our awards. Unfortunately it never happened.

I agree with K3 regarding the good time. It was great to hang out with friends and get to see everyone all cleaned up. Casper, thanks for finally letting the little ghost go in his quest for going faster. ;D

Brian, I have been with the wifey for over 9 years now and she is the one who encourages me to go racing. I had to eventually get married, so she  figured that it was about time. I did give it a good fight... ;D I am still not sure why she wants me out of the house so much!

To be honest, this was the first time she came to a banquet for motorcycle racing with me and she was not all that thrilled since we didn't get ther till 7:45 so we had to stand up all night long and hold our coats in our hands as well as struggle to walk around or to hear the presentation speeches, much less get to talk and meet my friends that I have insulted in front of her so many times.

I am sure that everyone involved tried to do what they thought was best and it did not work as well as planned. Hopefully this is just a learning experience. I also agreee with Jef4y that 2nd and 3rd place (at least) should also receive some form of trophy or plaque. CRA gives them out to 3rd place and it feels good to get something a lot more substantial. Chris, the top 9 number plate idea is also something that CRA does and I am sure it would not be too expensive to do. It adds recognition to a hard year and a strong effort. I don't see why the novices should not be recognized as much as the experts. After all, it seems like there are 3 times more novices.

One thing I can say though is that I'll probably be at next years banquet...I hope to see all of you there.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

GSXR RACER MIKE

Though I did not attend this years banquet, I see that it was apparently less then acceptable.

I have lived in Rockford Illinois all my life and know it quite well, including the Clock Tower Inn Resort. This hotel and numerous others are located at the State Street exit off I-90 and are incredibly easy to access. Heading west on State St. from the I-90 exit will uncover a large number of hotels right by the Interstate and something like 50+ different restraunts over the next 5 miles or so (State St. is Rockfords main drag). Rockford is one of the top in the nation in the number of golf courses available to the public, has numerous sports facilities which draw huge numbers of people for soccer and softball tournaments every year, and is located about 45 minutes or so from the facility that holds the motorcycle show in Chicago. Because of the sports events held here, there is an abundance of middle priced hotels, many of which have conference facilities. A few of those hotels also have restraunts with banquet facilities.
     If Rockford was a suitable location for the banquet in the future, I would have no problem doing the leg work and find an adequate facility to host future award banquets for CCS. Rockford is close enough to Chicago to make it convenient to still attend the M/C show, and you don't have to deal with the traffic headaches of being in Chi-town and trying to get in and out of downtown.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteBrian, I have been with the wifey for over 9 years now and she is the one who encourages me to go racing. I had to eventually get married, so she  figured that it was about time.

His visa ran out.  Needed a green card...  Hey Edgar, that girl is cute!  Why did she settle for you?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

spyderchick

Quote  My guess is that the people from Kendals misrepresented their facilities, and somebody lied about the length of the ride from the hotel to the bar.  No one would have been stupid enough to book this stuff otherwise.

Chris, I know you're trying to be positive, but it took me less than 30 seconds after the banquet info was posted (and this was how many months ago?) to find numerous Kendall's links on the web. It took me almost half that time to realise that it wasn't sufficiant or appropriate for the usual number of attendees.

Friday evening, Roger wanted to see the what the place looked like and how to get there. I showed him one of the links that contained a map. He looked it over and looked at me and said we're not going, we we're wasting our money and our time. He could see from the photos that the place was too small for large groups.

I believe we had around 250 people the previous year. When you are planning an event, you base totals off of previous years. You ask what the capacity is of a new venue. If it's true that Tiffany thought there would only be 50 attendees, then she did not know what was the norm for this region. It was her job to ask and it was her job to know. Add to that that all 3 regions from this geographical area were combined, you might assume the attendance would be slightly higher.

Chris, I believe you and all of the other racers work very hard. You deserve the best. Anyone can attempt to put a good face on it, and good for you if you can.  Optimism and  being positive is always better than negative. Bottom line for CCS and Clearchannel: this is the face of their corporate image. Anyone who makes excuses for CCS and Clearchannel, well, that is like saying that it's ok for a  multi-million dollar conglomerate to show disrespect to us. They have the resources, they should have had a protocol for Tiffany to follow.

Don't blame Kendall's directly, no small business wants bad press or unhappy customers. A corporation can survive this though. Will CCS formally appologize? Who knows. Roger has yet to get his "piece of paper" from 2000, My e-mails and corospondance over the years has yet to be answered, and Rhiannon has yet to receive her corrected certificate from the MW last year, or her other  2001 certificates due her from other regions.

What is the answer? I don't know. Those who've let CCS know how they feel are starting to think that they are just complainers. I've always tried to offer positive solutions when I write to them or post on this forum. I have no solution for the current situation. I'm not sure what the problem might be or where the root of it lies.

I do know one thing for sure though, every racer who participates in this sport does it mind, body and soul, and for that they ought to be honored when they acheive high goals. Again, to everyone who received an award this year and even those of you who did not...great kudos to you.    
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

TZDeSioux

QuoteHis visa ran out.  Needed a green card...  Hey Edgar, that girl is cute!  Why did she settle for you?

Chris,
I was thinking the same thing.  ??? She must've done something real bad in her previous life to be stuck with Edgar.  ;D

SliderPhoto

Quote.
What is the answer? I don't know. Those who've let CCS know how they feel are starting to think that they are just complainers. I've always tried to offer positive solutions when I write to them or post on this forum. I have no solution for the current situation. I'm not sure what the problem might be or where the root of it lies.

For the few years I've dealt with CCS, from Chicago to Fort Worth, I've found the same lack of response and communication. I no long care what the reason is, but I'd like to find a solution.

What if we were to form a group that helped solve racer issues. A small group of people that wanted to voluteer their time to make things better. Perhaps this group could help respond to racer issues, help get things done, and form a better line of communications between the racers and CCS.

spyderchick

You know Jack, you're not the first person to think of that idea, just the only one to make it known. Do you think that CCS would respond to such a group? If so, that could be a very positive thing. Thee are a myriad of issues to consider to even starting such a thing, but it would be worth exploring.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

SliderPhoto

QuoteYou know Jack, you're not the first person to think of that idea, just the only one to make it known. Do you think that CCS would respond to such a group? If so, that could be a very positive thing. Thee are a myriad of issues to consider to even starting such a thing, but it would be worth exploring.

There's really no telling how CCS would respond, or if they would.  ;D But I think with a little perserverance and if the group worked in a positive way, it would be in their benefit.
The group could help racers understand the issues, and take some of the work load off of CCS.

I think with the backing of racers and a positive effort it could help some problems, identify issues and keep them active until they're solved. A union, council, advocate group, lobby, I don't know what it would be or what to call it, but I'm not even a racer and I'm tired of the status quo.

Jeff

Here's the thing.  Everybody's got a boss.  You keep climbing and eventually you get to one man (or woman).

Taking issues to Kevin does not yeild results (most often), so we need to keep climbing.

Somewhere in CCE, there is a VP or CEO in charge of CCS.  This is the person we need to find and address.  If this fails, there's always the board of directors.

Sure, we could simply be told to "sit-down and shut-up", but when CUSTOMERS talk, a business needs to listen.  If they don't, they will fail to be a business for too long...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest