News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

banquit

Started by the_weggie_man, February 09, 2003, 12:09:14 AM

the_weggie_man

Not a misspelling, banquit, because if this is what we can expect for banquets in the future, I quit.

Kendall's is probbably a really cool place for a night out but not a banquet.  It was not a place for this affair.

I make no apologies for saying for a lot of people that won't get on here that this was the worst CCS banquet ever. I've attended every one from 1984 to tonight and this was the worst. There is absolutely no defense for it. I was embarrassed for the guys that had to accept their awards in this crap situation.

And by the way CCS people, when there is an open bar it doesn't mean you shouldn't tip the bartenders.
Jeez guys those people worked their asses off and I for one didn't see sh-t for tips going to them. I heard comments from the bar keeps about the lousy tipping, because when I tipped them they were surprised someone was actually leaving them something.

I'm really glad I didn't fall for the "Hotel 71" deal
also.  $89 p/night but they forgot to tell you it was $32 to park your freakin' car! Oh yeah, the limo was good too.  How long did it take for it to get from hotel to bar and back?  How many people took cabs?
Glad I drove back home instead of paying for that shat.

All in all I'm fuckin' embarrassed to admit I belong to this group right now.  Go ahead and bust my ass but you better have something to back it up because tonight was bad.  Wonder why this bike racing doesn't go anywhere to the general public? Hope you didn't have any new people you were introducing to it tonight. I did and it sucked!!  They looked at me like .... what the hell is this?

I was really hoping tonight would not be what I thought it would but .... it was actually worse than I expected.  Racers actually got their awards in boxes.
CCS satff could not even take the time to take them out of the boxes for the guys that busted their nuts all year to get these things. Never in my life in any form of racing have I seen anyone take a trophy off the podium in a freakin' box except tonight.  That is sad, really sad.

So, this is my banquit, until someone assures me things will get much, much better. Sorry, but I expect more out of CCS than this joke  I witnessed tonight.

For all you guys that suffered through it ... Good on ya mates!  Ya worked your butts off all year for this .... and you should have had better, much, much better.

wera331

I hope ours isn't like that.

EX#996

I'm sorry to hear that Gordy.   :(

Give CCS a little credit for trying something different.  By the sounds of it, it didn't work.  It would be interesting to have others chime in and share their opinions.

There is always next year to make things right.

Dawn   :)

Paul and Dawn Buxton

spyderchick

Quote{alexa puts her soap box in place} Ahem. For what my two cents is worth, I'd like to see the Banquet held at a Hotel facility. First off, I feel that we are honoring the athletes that have participated to their fullest, mind, body and pocket book. It's kind of nice to see what we all look like cleaned up. We all can go to a sports bar anytime, and even the nice ones will not have the air of ceremony a hotel can provide.

Now for less subjective reasons:
How many people do you think are going to be enjoying some liquid libation? Should they get carried away, these same people will have to drive home or to a hotel. Let's give them the safe option of being able to stay put.

There are a few racers in the MW who are not of legal drinking age, and at least one who is a minor. Even though a sports bar would not  prevent these racers from accepting an award at that facility, a hotel facility is a more appropriate place for them. (they might argue differently.)

For racers with children in tow, numerous hotels offer child care. Another valuable option.

Many hotels offer discounted rates if an event is held in one of their rooms. Discounts are good.

As far as the proposed weekend, in conjuntion with the bike show...most excellent idea. Many of us from the Wisconsin area already attend the show, so we can coordinate an entire experience. I think we might get better attendance.  

My original suggestion, dated Oct 8th 2002

We weren't there. Why? We were afraid that what Gordy described would be the outcome, and a few other reasons as well. It was a very last minute decision not to attend.

Congratulations to all of our friends and especially Rhiannon on an outstanding year. You deserve the best.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

the_weggie_man

Banquet 1. A sumptuous feast. 2. Aformal or ceremonial dinner, often followed by speeches.  To entertain at a banquet; feast sumpuously or formally.

Sorry Dawn but I saw none of the above.  I give plenty of credit for a good effort. This was not.

Everyone I talked to at the place thought the whole thing was pretty bad. I thought it was horrible.

Yes there is an opportunity to make it right next year and I certainly hope it happens. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. Whether they will post their feelings on here, I really don't know, but that doesn't change the facts.

EX#996

Hopefully they will chime in.  

That is the only way CCS will know what we would prefer regarding the banquet format.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

jim_p

Gordy,
My hat is off to you for your honesty, it seems when people offer an opinion or tell it like it is- people jump all over you on this BBS in defense of CCS's practices. "trying something new"-how hard is it to put together a dinner and hand out cheap awards.This should be a thankyou for everyones dedication,and efforts. People get divorced,go bankrupt,loose jobs and worse for there love (obsesion) for this awsome sport. I know it's a business, and not even an 800 number for it's members. Who's running the finances ?? Where is my license (last years),rule book,everything I paid for ?? either run you business like a respectable one or get out. This is just another kick in the zipper,get your act together CCS, I'm not talking about lower entries or gate fees-just show some appreciation and how about a $15 meal at the end of the year to show us how much we mean to your livleyhood. Feed just the racers and one guest, and for gods sake take the awards out of the boxes. And don't tell us they showed up late and there was no time to get things ready, Tony Stewart did't get his in a box-THANKS FOR THE SLAP IN THE FACE>>>AGAIN

mj

Thanks for your input Gordy.
Hopefully the message will get through to CCS.
Last night I felt bad that I could not attend, but it looks like I lucked out !

slclark65

Sorry to hear that you guys were unhappy with the banquet.  At least I can say when I put the banquets on that I was not publicly humiliated at the job I did.  I guess I must of done something right.  It saddens me that you guys were not happy this year.  I know you guys work hard to enjoy this sport and you guys should be able to enjoy your banquet.  And to think you guys are her favorite region, I would hate to see what the other banquets will be like.  At least I know the MA/SE banquet is the same as last year so the guys will be happy again.  

K3 Chris Onwiler

Well...  I have to argue about the cheap awards part.  Those little statues of a rider on his bike are the coolest thing I've ever seen.  I'll be building a shelf for mine, which may be the only home inprovement project I've contemplated since I started racing.
The $32 parking thing sucked.  My wife and I went to the hotel seperately. so the price of parking 2 cars doubled our motel bill.  Also, we took cabs both ways, so there went $25 more.  If there actually was a limo, I never saw it.
It's true that a hotel with a banquet room would have been a more comfortable venue.  We racers aren't uppity, so a nice Holiday Inn or Ramada with a convention center would have worked well.  (The Clock Tower Inn in Rockford would have been outstanding.)  Still, I got to pick up some really cool trophies and hang with all my racing friends.  Had the banquet been held in a parking garage, I still would have had fun!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

RC51Racer

Gordy, both you and K3 got it right, that was the worst ever.  I'm thinking now that it's a good thing I didn't do better this year.  I feel sorry for those who had to get up and try to speak, thank their sponser's etc, no one could hear them.  Too many people in too small of a place.

I agree with K3, I think Rockford would be a great place to hold the banguet.  Rooms and convention centers abound, very little traffic and no parking or transportation problems.  Think about it CCS!!!!

OmniGLH

Wow really?

I have to admit it's not what I was expecting... I figured it was gonna be at a real Banquet Hall - not a bar.

But I had fun nonetheless, and will be there next year regardless of where it's held.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak