Guess I could just stop changing the front tire...

Started by tigerblade, June 15, 2004, 10:02:26 AM

tigerblade

I've looked everywhere for a 12mm hex socket.  I've been borrowing one from a friend.  Need for the SV's front axle.  Any ideas on where to find one?  I've been all over town and they seem to only have up to 10mm.   :-/
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Zac

I've gotten all my very large hex driver sockets from McMaster-Carr: www.mcmaster.com

I've also heard of people finding the large hex drivers at auto parts stores such as autozone.

H-man

12mm sockets are available ar Sears.  Order on-line http://www.sears.com/sr/search/results/searchresults.jsp if you local Sears store doesn't have one.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

tigerblade

Have been to Sears, O'Reilley's and Home Depot with no luck.  May have to get 'em online.  Thanks for the suggestions.   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

MadXX

I have the craftsman metric 1/2 6 point socket kit from sears and it takes every bolt off my bike except the rear axle.  Best investment in tools I ever made.

If you are in the midwest and have one around a local fleet farm would also have one.  You could also look at a set of impact sockets.  1/2 inch and you'll never break it with a wrench  ;)

zoner

I know you can get one from snap-on.  It is probably a little bit more expensive,  but that's another source.  Let me know if you can't find one and don't have access to your local snap-on rep,  our's stops by the shop every Wednesday and I could get you one.

tzracer

You can buy Snap-On online. Yes they do have a socket that fits the front axle on the 2003 and later SV.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

dsb

What about a bolt with a 12mm head, put a couple nuts on it, tighten and ... ta da!

Rich

I had the same trouble finding a 19MM for my R6, a 14mm for my ZX6 and a 17mm for the ZX.  I ended up calling around to some local tool specialty stores and found a few that carry them. Just have to look in the yellow pages for specialty tool stores.
Rich
CCS EX GP 179
www.greenlawnracing.com
caferacerinc.com, TC Concepts, Extreme Cycle, Pit Bull, Vortex, Chickenhawk, XT Racing

tigerblade

Just borrowing my buddy's for this weekend again.  I know people have used the 12mm bolt head before, but I'd like to have "the right tool for the job".   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

dsb

Quote I know people have used the 12mm bolt head before, but I'd like to have "the right tool for the job".   ;)

Be careful, thinking like that you'll wind up with $35K in Snap-on sitting in your garage... hypothetically speaking  of course   ;)

tigerblade

QuoteBe careful, thinking like that you'll wind up with $35K in Snap-on sitting in your garage... hypothetically speaking  of course   ;)

The only way I'm getting $35K of tools in my garage is if the truck driver loses his brakes and crashes into it.   ;) ;D
Younger Oil Racing