TZ250 in MW Sportsman

Started by motomadness, January 28, 2003, 06:20:50 PM

TZDeSioux

By the way.. what's with the "monsta"? bhwahaha ;D

motomadness

Monsta describes my attitude at times.  Kind of wild, kind of serious, always hungry.  Carry over from my frat days.  Do you like it?

Thanks for being so interesting in aiding me with the new bike.  I will take your advise.

I think I will inquire more about the present state of the motor before I send anything off to get work done on the crank.  I will however, take the crank out and perform some baselining measurements, so I at least know where I am at before I start running the motor.  What kinds of tools do I need?  Just a feeler gauge?  

Should I just trailer the bike up to your place so we can get started?  If so, when is good for you?

Protein Filled

Sean, what did you do with the SV? Do you still have it?
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

motomadness

THe SV was never mine.  It was Acapelo's.  Once he passed away, I didn't try to claim/buy it from his widow.  She still has it and is looking for someone to sell it.  Interested?

Afterwards I thought about fixing up the Aprilia, but I didn't think it would be a suitable option for where I would like to build to.  So I put it up for sale, and started looking for a used TZ.  Doc Stein was selling his, I checked it, and bought it.  Now I can't wait to ride it.

Protein Filled

Hmm, I don't think I could afford another fully built SV.

The TZ is a great bike to ride. They go through corners so easily and are so awesome in transitions from left to right, but you will have to get used to having absolutely no engine braking. I am sure the Aprilia did not have much so it may not be that much of a change for you.

They are real easy to work on once you know what to do, but the one thing is that a mistake can really cost you a lot. You will need a few specialty tools to make sure you don't grenade it. A leak down tester is a must if you ask me.

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

TZDeSioux

Edgar is right.. get a pressure tester. I have one.. and I use it all the time. The last thing you want is your crank seals leaking and sucking in hot air and/or trans oil. Also note that TZ's are notorious for leaking from the bottom Reed cage and carb boot. You will seize your motor if your magneto side or intake leaks. You should also get an ignition timing gauge. Once you split the cases, you will have to reset the ignition timing and that's a super pain in the ass without a proper dial gauge. You will also need a magneto puller unless you're he-man. Did Doc give you any tools? I hope Doc gave you a manual and parts book?

motomadness

Edgar/Brain  Thanks for the advise.

Doc gave me a timing gauge and an relative air density meter.  That's all of the specialty tools I've got.

Brian,
Do you have a magneto puller I can borrow?  What about a case spliter?

Edgar,
I think Acapelo's widow is only asking $5,000.

TZDeSioux

Yeah I have one you can borrow. You don't need a case splitter. All you have to do is undo all the bolts and tap it very lightly with a mallet and it will come apart. I've never used a case splitter to do the job.

motomadness

Thanks Brian.  BTW, I did get the manuals from DOC as well, so I guess I'll be alright as long as I have the right tools.