News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Re: What kind of tire are Michelin H2's?

Started by THE D.O.C., August 07, 2002, 03:09:27 PM

THE D.O.C.

the new race dot's from michelin. they are the nuts by th way.

Dawn

Dave:

I noticed your post on the WERA board about your experience with the Michelins.  Paul experienced something similar at Road America.

Checking with some of the other SV riders, they have noticed a difference between Pirelli's and Michelin tires.  They feel that the Pirelli's stick better and slide predictably verses the Michelin Pilot Sports.  The only thing about the Pirelli's is that they seem to wear faster.

My $.02

Dawn   :)

#39 SE

Michelin Pilots:
H2 - Hard compound for street use.
M2 - Medium compound suitable for track use.
S2 - Soft compound for track use.

Popular set up at some tracks is a front S2 and a rear M2.

The fast guy at Roebling Road this year is Byron Barbour -- 1:14.14 -- and he runs with this set up.

dave333

noticing no h2 in the "hot" track set up...

EX#996

Just a quick clarification, the tires that Paul was using were the Michelin Pilot Race - NOT Sport.  

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Eric Kelcher

H2 I have been told is designed for endurnace and track/street use
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Mark Reeser

We used a set of michelins m2 front h2 rear to win the mediumweight superstock class in the 6 hour endurance at Summit last weekend. We used the same set for the whole race and had no problems with sliding or anything. We won our clas by 2-3 laps. I still use pireeli for sprints, but michelins are the shit for endurance racing.

dave333

Mark Reeser

dave333

Same here.  Putnam is a top notch course as far as traction is concerned, so maybe I hit some unpleasantness on the track, eh?  

Mark Reeser

Not sure I've never been to Putnam, but the Michelin guy did tell me that there are some tracks where the H2 wasn't holding up real well. He actually told me that maybe I should use an M2, but I took my chances with the H2 and it worked out great. Nobody was going near as fast toward the end of the day (on my bike at least) as we were earlier in the day, but that was more rider fatigue and not tire fatigue. Actaully one guy was still doing low 20's and 19's on my bke with no complaints of tire slide.

EX#996

Mark:

I am courious - Why do you use Pirelli's for sprints and Michelins for endurance races?  What is the thought process behind this?

Thanks!

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Mark Reeser

Michelin pays much better in endurance racing, and I think the pirellis are actaully beeter tires for overall, but they wear out much quicker than the michelins. Also since I have no sponsors I have to go with the $.

SliderPhoto

QuoteMichelin Pilots:
H2 - Hard compound for street use.
M2 - Medium compound suitable for track use.
S2 - Soft compound for track use.

Are you sure about this? I think H standing for Hard is a misnomer. The rear H2 is actually quite soft, softer than the Medium and harder than the S2.

thetireguy

I need to post some info on the Pilot Race 2 product line. The S2 is the Soft and is only availible from a race vendor. Best used for quailifing as the rear is alot like the Blue Pirelli/Metzeler SC1/RS1 and will only last a couple of GOOD races. The H2 is a Medium/Soft and is listed as Highway suitable NOT Hard compound, it is the standard commercial tire and it is availible at any local dealer or parts and accessories outlet. The front H2 is more of a street tire and best used for trackday riders and slower racers, the rear is a full race type tire and has very nice life for a $158.00 race tire. Then the M2 is a full Medium and like the Soft is only availible trackside for $360.00 per pair.

Lots of the racers on the new Pilots have been using the S2 front and the H2 rear at the short tracks with great results. This works good for beginer level riders and those needing a deal on race rubber $310.00 per set is the going rate on the S2/H2 120/180-17. Jeff Kramer has the new track record this year at Gateway with this combo. The M2 on both ends is the best choice for for abrasive tracks, hot weather or long races. Kramer also has the track record at the new Mid America Motorsports park using a S2/M2 combo.

Tom Mason

dave333