News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

VIR Injured Racer Update?

Started by sportbikepete, July 30, 2002, 07:45:08 AM

sportbikepete

Has anyone heard how the racer that hit the armco barrier mid air between turn 2 and 3 is doing? I unfortunately witnessed it and it still freaks me out when I think of it.

Bruce Dover

You think it freaks you out... I was the cornerworker at turn 3 that day! The first thing I saw when I jumped the armco to respond was blood on the grass. :o (No matter how long I do this, I'll never[/i] get used to seeing blood at the racetrack!) The next thing I saw was the bone sticking out through the hole in his leg! The VIR emergency staff reacted quickly and had an ambulance on the scene remarkably fast and did their usual outstanding job of taking care of him.

The rider's name is Scottie Pressley and, amazingly enough, the broken leg was his only injury! I was back out at VIR this past weekend for SCCA races and I checked with the medical staff to see how Scottie was doing. They told me he had 2 surgeries on his leg and is back home now in Black Mountain, NC. I was glad to hear that, because it could have been a lot worse.

sportbikepete

Oh man I knew it was bad. The crew did do a great job of getting right on the scene.
DO YOU THINK WE CAN NOW ETO SEE SOME SORT OF PROTECTION THERE NOW!

Someone stated that if there is a need for Armco in a spot then shouldn't that armco be protected for us as well?

bfkidd

Rumor has it the track owns a type of soft barrier to go in front of said armco. I have seen it out there before. They are like giant foam blocks. I will try and verify it later this week when I am out there.

prov431

No rumor, it's true. (large foam blocks) We deployed them for the AMA factory teams test a month or so ago. I don't know any of the particulars about who gets to use them, or why.....I just know they're available and have been used.

bfkidd

Ok, then it is up to the riders to inform the track and CCS that these things need to be deployed! I have mentioned it numerous times and we see how much good it has done. I need other people's help on this one.

TreyBone

Hel Yeah, Lets get em >:(   We're only club racing pieces of shiznit. We not good enough for those protective thingys'.  We should all raise a little stink about not having them out there if they do indeed have them to provide. :-[

RoadRacerR6

QuoteNo rumor, it's true. (large foam blocks) We deployed them for the AMA factory teams test a month or so ago. I don't know any of the particulars about who gets to use them, or why.....I just know they're available and have been used.

I believe they belong to Alpina (not the track) and must be RENTED.  It would be up to the racing organization (i.e. CCS) to arrange to rent the Alpina safety fence.

I don't think VIR owns any Alpina air fence or barriers.

bfkidd

It isn't air fence we are talking about.

stillslow

I go in for the last, I think, surgery on my shoulder from a crash into that same wall on August 17th. I crashed there on April 13th and have not been able to go back to work since. SOMEBODY needs to do something about that damn wall. It's closer than you think. Remember how fast you are covering ground when you leave the track there :o :o :o

RoadRacerR6

QuoteIt isn't air fence we are talking about.

And I wasn't talking about air fence, if you had actually bothered to read my message instead of making assumptions.   ::)   I was talking about the foam barriers that have been deployed at VIR in the past.  They are made by Alpina.  Alpina also makes air fence.

TrophyGal

We talked with Scotty Pressley last night on the phone.  He is staying with his father and does not have a computer but he wanted everybody to know that he is doing well and feeling good.

He broke his knee, shin, right elbow, right shoulder blade and ribs 9 and 10.  Ouch! :o

His racing for the year is probably over, but he hopes to come to the next VIR to see everybody and watch the races.