News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Fluid catch pan question

Started by vanillagorrilla, June 29, 2007, 08:54:16 AM

SVbadguy

This one on my DR650 started as a plastic container that I fiberglassed over.  Eventually I wore off the corners and reglassed it into the present shape.

Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

banda

I'm going to tag along on this question, as I am also a Supermoto racer making the leap to CCS Amateur racing:

I have the Nice Carbon belly pan that G-reg pointed out. It is nicely made, holds about 50% more fluid than a YZ crankcase does, and comes with sponges fixed to the interior to prevent sloshing of the contents should the unspeakable happen.

It also has four neatly engineered mount points - plastic loops on the interior held on with large rivets through the pan itself. The manufacturer suggests attaching the belly pan to the lower frame tubes with zip ties. This works neatly, allows the pan to be fitted snugly, and seems very secure.

However:

CCS 2007 rules state:
5.2.23 All 4-stroke machines must be equipped with a fluid catch pan of sufficient size and heat-resistant material to contain the contents of the crankcases in the event of an engine or crankcase failure. Minimum capacity of the fluid catch pan is to be 3 quarts...
D. All fluid catch pans must be mounted in a safe and workman-like manner. (Zip-ties and duct tape do not qualify as safe and workman-like mounting.)

Apparently zip ties are not workman-like enough.

So my question is: Will tech inspectors have enough common sense to see that in this case zip ties are an elegant and workman like solution? Or will I have to do something stupid like try to snug my pan up with safety wire or hose clamps?

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well you could try zip ties  (heavy duty ones) and safety wire backup combo.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

banda

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on July 16, 2007, 10:43:45 PM

Thanks, dude - that's a pretty sensible suggestion that hadn't crossed my mind - adding a loop of safety wire at each mount point in addition to the zip ties.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Even though I would see about making a back up mounting bracket in case tech says no. (ie bring some sheet metal, snips, bolts and nuts to fab some if needed).
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Burt Munro

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on July 16, 2007, 10:43:45 PM

And this is why it's a good idea for you to keep driving the Crash Truck Rob!!    :spank:

Unless you and Jan have a conspiracy in place to get as much use as possible out of his Go-Go Gadget ATV!!!   :kissy:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Burt Munro on July 18, 2007, 12:35:40 PM
And this is why it's a good idea for you to keep driving the Crash Truck Rob!!    :spank:

Unless you and Jan have a conspiracy in place to get as much use as possible out of his Go-Go Gadget ATV!!!   :kissy:

No its to help keep you problem tech children's attention.:biggrin:
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

banda

Ok. Give it to me straight, since I apparently don't understand:

What is it about zip ties that makes them unsafe or un workman-like? Do they fail routinely? Would four of them not support the weight of two quarts of oil? What is it?

Burt Munro

The issue with the zip ties is that they're not as durable as if you have something bolted in place.  You wouldn't believe what some people try to pass off as 'securely fastened.'

What region do you race in?  Since I work Tech at Midwest races I can't speak for how it would be viewed by Tech in other regions.  Even though we all work from the same rulebook, there may be some variance as to the degree of acceptability from region to region based on the experiences of each Tech crew.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

banda

I'm guilty here of creating a lot of hubub over what is probably nothing - I'm not planning to race any CCS sanctioned events this year. Instead, I'm going to enter a couple Midwest Cafe Racers Association challenge races in their GT Lights class as an adjunct to the amateur supermoto and TT racing I already do.

The MCRA challenge series uses the CCS rulebook, and requires CCS licensing for its entrants. I expect that MCRA club members will do the scrutineering.

Anyway, the way I see it, I would have to use fresh zip ties for every event because the belly pan has to be removed in order to verify the drain plug is safety wired. Even if that weren't so, these MX'ers need the oil changed after every race day - dry sump, what what.

This belly pan from Nice Carbon is really a nice piece - it fits so snugly around the lower frame rails that NOT using zip ties would mean having to either hang the pan two inches lower, or it would mean rigging something complicated and suspect.

I have a feeling that a tech inspector looking at, tugging at the belly pan installed would a) not recognize that zip ties were the method of attachment (because the mount points are IN the belly pan, not at its edges) and would b) be impressed with the secureness with which it is attached.

I will follow your recommendations - offering to supplement the attachment with safety wire, and having enough additional hardware to rig additional supports.

Thanks guys.