Racing oil help...

Started by Pierre - Team PMR, March 10, 2003, 09:45:32 AM

Pierre - Team PMR

Just wondering what everyone uses for engine oil (what weight)?
Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

Jeff

Silkolene racelube (now it's called Pro 4 or something) 10W40.  www.silkolenestore.com Talk to Audrey and tell her Jeffy sent you over!  She will hook you up!

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

motomadness

What are you racing? 2-stroke or 4-stroke.  If it's a 2-stroke, try Silkolene Pro 2 (pre-mix) or Pro 2 Plus (oil injectors).

Pierre - Team PMR

Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

motomadness

Are you planning on changing your oil every weekend?  It can get pricing, but silkolenestore.com does sale oil in large containers (1 gal size), which can possibly make your purchase more economical.

Jeff also has a good lead on some trick reuseable filters.

Super Dave

Hey, Pierre...

Oil is good for a motorcycle.  We can start there first.  

So, a good quality oil is just fine.  10W40's are good.  I'll usually lean toward a 15W40 because since the numbers are closer together, it has less of an additive package.  In the warm months, I'll usually use a straight weight, like an SAE30.  Little heavier, but good protection after shut down.

I like to check the API ratings on oils.  I look for API diesel ratings...CD, CF4.  Diesels hammer oils a bit more that a regular engine, so these oils don't shear so bad.

I like Shell Rottella T.  Kendal is good, but now owned by Pennzoil, which I refuse to use.  The former Kendal SAE30 has better film strength than most synthetics.  

Will a synthetic offer more HP?  Can't say that I've really seen it.

I did have a petroleum based oil made for myself that was fortified with Castor, the ultimate lubricant.  It was an SAE10.  Seemed to work really well, but the castor lubricant is rather dirty.  Just the way castor is.
Super Dave

Pierre - Team PMR

Hey Super_Dave, thanks for the info!  I'm really trying to get geared up for your class on the 3rd.  By the way, did you get my check yet?

Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

Dawn

QuoteI like Shell Rottella T.  Kendal is good, but now owned by Pennzoil, which I refuse to use.  The former Kendal SAE30 has better film strength than most synthetics.  

Dave:

We use Rottella T in our desiel too.  

Just curious, why do you refuse to use Pennzoil?

Dawn   :)

tshort

I'm going to run Amsoil 10w40 in my SV this season - it's a full synthetic.  The guy who built the bike says it works great, as do a number of other racers.  We shall see.  (I'm also now a "dealer" for Amsoil, which means I get a good price on it - let me know if you're interested).
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

DanO966

MOTUL.

I've been running that stuff for years never a problem!  5100.  Great stuff 10/40.  

This year I'm gonna run MOTUL 300V tho.  
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

Super Dave

QuoteHey Super_Dave, thanks for the info!  I'm really trying to get geared up for your class on the 3rd.  By the way, did you get my check yet?

Yes, I did get it!  I'll be sending out some stuff hopefully soon.

I'm kind of a wealth of bull stuff, so if I can help you...just let me know.  You're part of the TEAM!
Super Dave