Firebird track day for Oct. 4?

Started by Keith Royle, September 13, 2002, 03:08:54 PM

Keith Royle

I saw on the bottom of the schedule for the final event for SW region at Firbird main track that the dates were for October 4-5-6. THere is no such date posted for the Lockhart Phillips sponsored track day. Is there an open track day on that Friday? I have never ridden the 'big track' at Firebird and need to get some laps. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Litespeed

I don't know of any track day for Firebird but I am also hoping that someone manages to provide us with one.  I haven't been on the track before and I have heard that it can be rather tricky (considering all of the concrete we will be staring at all day).

lightweightgp

i beleive there is a track day sponsored by aztrackday.com on sunday at the small track.  I would be surprised if there was a Friday track day at the big track, since they have Friday night drags every Friday night.

The big track at Firebird isn't for the faint of heart, but it's really not so bad.  turns 1 and two are bumpy, so choose your line carefully.  The only time the concrete really comes into play is the tower turn, (14) which dumps you out onto the front straight.  As you come off the back section, you turn in with a concret wall in your face, and as you exit the turn, you ride from asphalt to concrete, to painted concrete (with an electrical junction box with a metal plate cover in the middle of the track).  As you exit the corner, the pit wall comes up pretty quick.  And if you cut the corner too tight, there's a concrete wall on the inside too.  And if you don't carry speed through that conrner, you get dusted down the half mile long straight.  

its the only track i've ever raced at where drafting really matters.

good luck.  except you, keith.  i need to beat you!

CRG
ccs sw #337 Am

Decreasing_Dave

Well, If they have the "Friday Night Drags", then where do we camp???  I was going to arrive on Friday and stay at the track.  Will they let us in??

Lemme no  ;D

Litespeed

I believe that we pit in a different area than where the drag racers will be.  The drag racers typically pit on our road course and we (I have only been there once to watch a long time ago) pit on the opposite side of the strip.  I'm still not sure that the track would be open to us until Saturday morning though since we technically don't ahve the track until then.

CCS

Yes, we have a track day on the big track October 4, 2002.

See you there (and bring your friends)
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

lightweightgp

is this a LP sportrider trackday?  it's not on the schedule posted on the CCS website.   no friday drags, or do they happen after dark, so there's no conflict.   I assume we can leave our pits set up?

The real question is:  will my tires make it throught a track day and two race days?  

Litespeed

It depends on your tires and how many races per day you are planning to do.  I usually get 2 full weekends and a track day or two out of my Pirelli's (you will slow down as they 'grow' older but they still stick resonably well) on the 600, not sure how the tires will fair on the RC51.  Overall I would try to use old tires for the track day and then mount the fresh rubber for Sat if you have that option.

lightweightgp

well, i was kind of being facetious.  

the metzlers i have on there now i bought at buttonwillow.  they've been through two entire race weekends and one trackday (vegas).  

i don't imagine they'll survive a trackday at firebird and a whole weekend.    by sunday i'll be sliding the front and rear going into turn one.   i kind of wanted to close out the season without having to buy another set.  

since when does racing care what I want?