News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

New Helmet Rule?

Started by cbirk, February 18, 2008, 01:38:09 PM

cbirk

I was reading my newest issue of RRW and in the letters to the editor section I seen an article that caught my attention. It was titled, "Send old helmets to Iraq".  Anyhow, the writer of the article mentions, "most sanctioning bodies are now regulating SNELL 2005 or newer lids".  The writer is from Canada so I understand this rule may apply to Canadas sanctioning bodies but does this hold true to CCS or any other American sanctioning bodies.  My Arai has a manufacturers date pre 2005 era so does this mean I will have to purchase a new helmet to race this season?

p.s. I did not reference the rule book prior to this post.

PJ721

....from the CCS 2008 Rulebook

5.1.1 Undamaged full-face helmet with face shield and bearing a stamp of
approval from one of the following international standards:
D. O. T. FMVSS – 218 (USA)
Snell M2000 and M2005 (USA)
BS. 6658 TYPE. A (GREAT - BRITAIN)
ECE 22 - 04 & ECE 22 - 05 "P" (EUROPE)
A. It is required that all riders put their competition number on the chin
bar or side of their helmets to aid in identifi cation should the rider be
involved in a multi-bike incident.

...we also run Moto-ST...and they wont allow Snell 2000

Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

Jeff

If your helmet is over 2 years old you might consider getting a new one...

That's why I could never get into the $750 replicas.  A $300 solid will do just fine and is easy to shelve for a fresh one...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

cbirk

Quote from: PJ721 on February 18, 2008, 02:01:49 PM

approval from ONE of the following international standards:

ECE 22 - 04 & ECE 22 - 05 "P" (EUROPE)
Thanks for the input guys.  I'm thinking snce it states one of the following ,not each of the following, I may still be able to run my current helmet based on the D.O.T FMVSS-218 standard.   ::)

kl3640

Quote from: Jeff on February 18, 2008, 03:50:13 PM
If your helmet is over 2 years old you might consider getting a new one...

That's why I could never get into the $750 replicas.  A $300 solid will do just fine and is easy to shelve for a fresh one...

That's a good point.  Most helmet manufacturers state that a helmet shouldn't be used more than 5 years after its date of manufacture (Arai states 7 years after manufacture date, or 5 years since first use, whichever comes first), which is why the manufacture date can be found on the chinstrap or elsewhere.

Because racing/track riding accelerates the wear on the helmet (more perspiration, etc.) as compared to street riding, my own rule of thumb is to replace my helmet every other season, unless I crash it and have to replace it sooner.  Also good reason to store the helmet well while not in use, such as in a padded/protected helmet bag or case in a dark place that's not too hot or cold or damp or dry.

I used to buy replicas, but now I save the money and buy solids and just buy them more frequently - the one type of equipment not to skimp on is protection for the body, especially the head.

Ducmarc

i need to order a new shoei  anybody  know of a good place  motosport has them for 359$ but somewhere i saw them in the 2's ran my new KBC  at daytona what a POS had to come in and put my 4 year old shoei backup on. graphics are neet on the KBC but come turn 4 felt like it was coming off , the noise was intense and if you lift the visor up a little to hard and it's in you hand . nothing like starting line panic

kl3640

Not exactly related to your question, but there is an article in the latest RRW (not the Track Day special issue, but the regular April 2008 issue) titled What New Snell Helmet Standards Mean.  Along with a lot of other interesting info, it talks about the upcoming S2010 certification (although it doesn't mention any sanctioning bodies requiring it, iirc).

Court Jester

Quote from: Ducmarc on March 19, 2008, 10:37:01 PM
i need to order a new shoei  anybody  know of a good place  motosport has them for 359$ but somewhere i saw them in the 2's ran my new KBC  at daytona what a POS had to come in and put my 4 year old shoei backup on. graphics are neet on the KBC but come turn 4 felt like it was coming off , the noise was intense and if you lift the visor up a little to hard and it's in you hand . nothing like starting line panic

check this guy out.
http://hammythecanman.com/
you may have to contact him directly for helmets but i got a $500 race replica for $250 last month.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Toy Store

Quote from: Ducmarc on March 19, 2008, 10:37:01 PM

Give us a call and talk to Amber or myself; we'll get you a helmet on the cheap in exchange for displaying our stickers. Our number is 866.459.3789.

Patrick
www.motorcycletoystore.com
Patrick
www.superbiketoystore.com

Ducmarc

gixxerlvr

LongDogRacing

concur with the Scorpion.  I got my EXO-700 at a good price at helmetcity.com

the only bad thing about the Scorpion is that they don't put a manufacture date on the helmet.  so, i got a bunch of grief at tech, even though it was clearly brand new....
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

kl3640

On this subject, I just bought a new RX7 yesterday, but if anyone is in the market for an RX7 current gen and can hold out for a few more months, I saw this on the JGP board:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=04PyWZBWFHs

http://www.arai.co.jp/jpn/topics/rr5_a.pdf

Black Snowman

After trying on a bevy of helmets I settled on the Shark RSR2 and right now the Muggridge models are on closeout for around $300. I came from a KBC and this is much better made, better fitted, better airflow, lighter, and QUIET. As far as safety goes I really like the stronger chin and cheak areas and the visor is awesome.  Too bad they're $73 to replace. I like the ECE standards over the Snell too.

For fit it came down to it and the Arai Vector. After finding one on closeout it sealed the deal for the Shark. I have a feeling I'll be getting Sharks from here on out.

kl3640

Just to reiterate, if you are buying a new helmet right now, make sure that it is actually new and not New Old Stock, because you will want SNELL M2005 certification at a minimum to pass tech inspection in the future.  When SNELL M2010 helmets comes out (sometime late next year I believe), then you will want to get one with that certification so that it will meet tech inspection regulations well in to the future (assuming of course that the helmet itself remains in good enough condition to be safely used by then).

Super Dave

Snell 2010 shouldn't impact ECE/BSI standards.  In many ways, they are different ends of the spectrum.  Maybe Snell is changing their M2010 standards and buying practices for their "seal", I don't know.
Super Dave

cbr-racer

Quote from: PJ721 on February 18, 2008, 02:01:49 PM
....from the CCS 2008 Rulebook

approval from one of the following international standards:
ECE 22 - 04 & ECE 22 - 05 “P” (EUROPE)
A. It is required that all riders put their competition number on the chin
bar or side of their helmets to aid in identifi cation should the rider be
involved in a multi-bike incident.

...we also run Moto-ST...and they wont allow Snell 2000

The 2009 rule book reads the same as the 2008 ?
Bill (whisky) http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/whisky
                    http://www.xbux.com/whisky402 

Sponsors: Hazardous Sports, Michelin, EBC
Silkolene, Lockhart Phillips, AGV Sport, Buffalo Wild Wings
Vortex

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: cbr-racer on January 06, 2009, 09:15:33 PM

The 2009 rule book reads the same as the 2008 ?

M2010 certification is not available until June 2009 so M2010 minimums will be effective for 2010 season
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

shorty_r6

so would a 2001 shoei work for this years CCS. i would have to go home and look the approval stamp.

Cowboy 6

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on January 07, 2009, 09:50:25 AM
M2010 certification is not available until June 2009 so M2010 minimums will be effective for 2010 season

If M2000 and M2005 are good now wouldn't it follow that it would move to M2005 and M2010 instead of a M2010 minimum?
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Eric Kelcher

Depends on 2001 Shoei model, may have ealrier testing if it was old model or may have had the latest testing at time it was made.

yes for 2010 Snell M2005 and M2010 sorry I was less than clear.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

xseal

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on January 27, 2009, 02:41:36 PM
Depends on 2001 Shoei model, may have ealrier testing if it was old model or may have had the latest testing at time it was made.

yes for 2010 Snell M2005 and M2010 sorry I was less than clear.

And just so we're clear, there is NO requirement in the rule book about the helmet having to have a date stamp on the chin strap saying it is less than 5 years old.  Eric -- pls ensure the tech inspectors are aware, they got this wrong a couple times last season.