FZR600 in GT Lights

Started by roadracer162, April 13, 2005, 07:24:06 PM

roadracer162

I am turning to the experts on this subject. I am curious on any opinions regarding the '90-'92 FZR600 and it's inclusion in the GT Lights and LW Superbike classes.  Currently the FZR600 can compete in the Thunderbike and LW F40 classes.  In these classes they will compete against the SV650, Buell 1200, Ducati 1000 and the occasional ZX7.  The performance of a FZR600 closely matches the SV650.  My question is why wouldn't the FZR600 be included in the other classes that these other bikes do run?  I have attempted petitioning the sactioning body for rule changes without result.  Is there a different way of approaching this?  

I have been often approached by spectators about the FZR600 and have found a small following.  Some of the comments have included the observation of the FZR600 that I am running as the only inline four amongst all the V-twins with a distinctive sound.  I believe it makes for a great spectacle seeing different forms of bikes all racing together with similar performance.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Eric Kelcher

It is a still a 600cc 4 cylinder machine the inclusion in any class other than a middleweight class should make you happy.

To take a machine that is old and index it into the different classes so it can compete against new machines will end up with rules that are so confusing that no one will know what is racing.

"okay now headed out on track the 1:28 class coming up will be the 1:45 class"

You get my drift? the rules are rather stagnent and the bikes are made faster and better so the class gets faster and old bikes need to be replaced to remain competitive, and YamaSuzKawHonDuc sells the new models.  Ie racing on Sunday Sells on Monday

If you want to go out and have fun keep the bike yo have and run the classes it fits, Want to run up front in a class then get a bike that is competitive in that class. Not all bikes make good race bikes or remain competitive.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Woofentino Pugrossi

One reason the old heavyweight sportsman set up was nice. It let the olderbikes have a place to have fun without getting run over by the new tech bikes. Older bikes that get slammed in supersport can play with eachother.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

roadracer162

I think so. I suspect that means all classes should be something like, "SV650 Cup" or "Buell Cup" like how there is the "Suzuki Cup"?

But isn't the provision already made for the SV650 and Buell to run in many different classes?  Is it becuase they are V-Twin configuration?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Super Dave

QuoteThe performance of a FZR600 closely matches the SV650.

Really?

When the FZR600 and the CBR600F2 were the premier 600 Supersport bikes, a decent F2 would make 90 to 93HP in legal supersport trim.

The FZR600 was faster, but it suffered from the fact that Yamaha issued the bike with a narrow 18" rear wheel.

A Supersport SV650 will make 65 to 75HP an a superbike one will make upper 90's...the FZR starts there.  

I don't see a good reason to include it, personally.

Super Dave

gpstar1

Well, thats all true, but the rider makes all the difference.  ;D
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,

Super Dave

Well, yeah...

This is racing, not a parade, right?
Super Dave

roadracer162

Wow, that's a lot of power for an F2 no wnoder they are faster then the FZR.  As far as I know all the spec sheets report 75 bhp for the 1991 FZR600 at 399 dry weight.  

The tire supply is limited because of the 18" wheel.

The same spec sheets report 70 bhp for the SV at 370 dry weight.

I am definitely down on power for a stock FZR600.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Super Dave

QuoteThe FZR600 was faster, but it suffered from the fact that Yamaha issued the bike with a narrow 18" rear wheel.

I think you didn't read what I had there...

At Daytona 1992, the factory teams used to use the CCS races for warm up for the AMA stuff.

We went to watch a race to see the Honda's blow off Larry Schwartzbach on the Vance & Hines Factory Yamaha FZR600.

We were shocked as Larry completely pummeled Tom Kipp on the banking at Daytona.  Wasn't even close.

There were a lot of Honda's around during the time as it was a good all around bike, and they had a pretty decent contingency plan.

75HP on an FZR600?

In 1988, 600 Katana's and 600 CBR Hurricane's made in the 80 to 82 RWHP arena.  The FZR600 flat blew them out of the water in 1989.  
Super Dave

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteIn 1988, 600 Katana's and 600 CBR Hurricane's made in the 80 to 82 RWHP arena.  The FZR600 flat blew them out of the water in 1989.  

Dave a FZR600 (395lbs empty) was about 40lbs lighter than a Katana and 20 some odd lighter than a Hurricane empty. And I'm pretty sure my FZR600 I had didnt put more than 80-85max out at the crank. I miss the little thing. :'(
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

roadracer162

I do too.  They are old like me, slow like me and too heavy like me to compete with all the new bikes. But what fun it is to take an 800 lb behemoth from the back and run it as far as it can to the front.  Just don't have enough money to go any faster.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22