News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Help!?! What to ride???

Started by Todd Baker, August 29, 2002, 07:20:59 AM

r1owner

QuoteHow long do tires last on a 600.  I can get three weekends out of a set on my SV.  

Well, you must not be riding very fast then! ;)

How many races do you run on your SV in a typical weekend?  I was planning on running a total of 5 races at Gateway, plus there were like 2 practices each day.  I think the tires would have lasted the weekend (maybe) had I not binned it.

Bernie

Hmmm.  A suggestion to race the TL?  I don't know about that.  I can't speak for the S model, but I currently race an R version.  You would get a kick out of the reaction from people when you tell them what you race, virtually everybody would assume you are truly crazy.  You'll need to pit next to friendly people who can help you load your gear if you crash.  Don't worry , they'll be expecting it.

I'm not sure about picking up chicks racing heavywieght.  Ladies who know about TLs in general will be scared they will have to take care of you while you convalesce.  I'm married and I think it's a plus to have a legally binding contract with a woman to love me in sickness and in health.  On the plus side, my orthopaedic surgeon loves the extra cash and job security.  I'll be having my fourth surgery of the season after Summit to make further repairs after an epic headshake turned tankslapper turned moonshot highside from a preseason trackday this year.

Don't get me wrong I've met some really nice cornerworkers and ambulance crew, and have a far greater appreciation for them than the smarter people who race civil motorcycles.  I've even had a tankslapper or two that didn't cause me to crash.  I'm getting pretty good at fixing it, too. Practice makes perfect.  Actually perfect practice makes perfect.

I'm really not bitter though.  My relationship with my TL is like some bizarre Jenny Jones spousal abuse show.  Anybody else would say enough is enough and buy a proper race bike.  But not me.  My TL has special powers.  It talks really sweet to me and always promises to be nice to me next time.  So I always decide to give it one more chance to kiss and make up.

If you want to win, buy a scooter.  Shee-hit, most of the time none of them show up, so you'd be practically guaranteed to win, and I've never seen one of them things headshake!

Bernie

Speedballer347

QuoteHow many races do you run on your SV in a typical weekend?  I was planning on running a total of 5 races at Gateway, plus there were like 2 practices each day.  I think the tires would have lasted the weekend (maybe) had I not binned it.

I agree w/ R1 rider.  
I did GTO, GTU, HWSB, MWSS, HWSS, UNSS, and UNGP + sat/sunday practices all on one set of tires.  Although I wasn't running a competitive pace due to my steering head falling off, I was still able to place top-4 every race w/ the tires.  So I personally don't think tire wear is a prob w/ the 600's.

Finishing well isn't that much of a problem in the 600 class.  Everyone I know that races a 600 has placed top-5 within a few weekends.  
Sh*t, R1Rider led the first few laps of his very 1st race on his 600 8) and ran top-5 in every race till he pitched it.
600 is a great learning class w/ plenty of excellent amateur riders of all speeds, to learn from.

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

KBOlsen

QuoteYou would get a kick out of the reaction from people when you tell them what you race, virtually everybody would assume you are truly crazy.

BWAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!! ;D
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

r1owner

QuoteSh*t, R1Rider led the first few laps of his very 1st race on his 600 8) and ran top-5 in every race till he pitched it.
600 is a great learning class w/ plenty of excellent amateur riders of all speeds, to learn from.

LOL, yeah, lets not mention the fact that I actually had time to look back over my shoulder and let off the gas at the start cause I was wondering where everyone else was!!!! ;D....Lets just say that I got a meatball flag the next time by the start/finish.  :(  LOL

It was the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle!!!!!

LOL Steve, thanks for not taking me out earlier.  I should have charged admission to you for a front row seat!!!

Super Dave

Tires are the biggest expense that has no return in racing.  Ok, maybe you can sell a trashed set for $30.  The bike and other pieces at least have some real value later down the road.  

But honestly, the best part of the tire is gone after twelve laps.  The BEST part.  It goes down hill from there.  I can destroy a rear pretty quick on a 600 in an afternoon, a 750, a 1000, four or twin, will do the same.

A lightweight bike will not destroy them so quickly.  So, you can concentrate your money on getting to the races, preparing your bike, and maintaining the suspensions.  

There are guys that have big buck lightweight bikes, yes.  But having been 19 at one time when I started racing, a smaller bike allowed me to learn about my body positioning and cornerspeed.  Suspension is the most important thing to learn about.  Go watch a pro event practice.  What are they working with?  The suspension.  

So, a smaller bike, whether you're talking about an SV650 or an RS125 Grand Prix bike, would be a better bike to learn on and not go broke.  And not going broke is very important.
Super Dave

andy342

Here's one for you...  :)

FWIW I started out last year on an old Yamaha Seca 2 with an FZR frontend on it.  Slow AND handled bad.  Best of both worlds.  

Then I fell off it and built my SV.  Wish I didn't have to sell it, but such is life.  I'll be back next year.

With the SV you can run LWSS, LWSB, LWGP, HW sportsman, GT lights, and Supertwins if you're either real good or crazy.   That's enough racing for me for a weekend.  

2000 Race Only SV650 for sale. CCS Supersport legal.  Engine is stock.  3600 street miles, four race weekends.  Traxxion Dynamics revalved forks with preload adjusters, MB Motorsports sliders, Vortex clipons and rearsets, 520 DID x-ring chain and sprockets, EBC HH pads, braided front lines, kevlar rear line, spools, Sharkskinz fairing and tail, stock seat, Ohlins shock, Full M4 exhaust, jetted, platinum plugs, temp gauge.  Ran synthetic Mobil 1 bike oil. All safety wired.  Basically ready to get on and race – it has all the right pieces.  I will provide a copy of the title – the bike cannot be put back on the road.   $5500/offer
Andy, 920-254-3477.  I live near Appleton, WI.