Protective Gear Question

Started by Knightslugger, December 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

spyderchick

You need to update your facebook status.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

DEVINC

Don't strangle any cats! I love cats!

As for your question. I am not a tech inspector. Chances are though, it would not pass in Florida. Probably not in any other region. Like they said, it is the tech inspectors final say. In other words, NO. Don't take the chance of a yes. Chances are slim to none.

The helmet has been compromised. Replace it. It is unsafe. Replace it. I have replaced helmets for less than that. I don't care what you think. Replace it. Get an Arai  :biggrin: . You are wrong. Your helmet is wrong. Get rid of it. Replace the helmet. It is unsafe. Do yourself a favor. It's unsafe. I don't care what you did. How you did it. You helmet was scratched from crashing. Great reason to replace it. If HJC doesn't want to do a test, well then you know not to get one again. Replace your helmet. IT IS UNSAFE...

Knightslugger

Quote from: eboos on December 08, 2009, 09:43:07 AM
That is the price to pay. I junked a brand new pair of gloves once after one crash. To answer your above question, what if there was more then just scratches wrong with his helmets, but the damage was undetectable? Why take the chance when you can do everything in your power to make sure you are using properly servicable gear?

because the serviceability of this helmet is very high yet. Not as high as brand new, but if you were to put a percentage value subtracted from it's "new" condition, we're talking very low, single digits, probably less. again, it's a very light scratch to the shell and nothing more.

Devinc, what makes you so certain that it's truly unsafe? HJC wont test it because they DON'T do any testing in the first place! No, i am not going to replace a helmet that has but a scratch. compromised? sure. the clear coat got chipped away (OHMYGOSH!) and there's a light scratch to the shell (OHMYGOSH!). Will it protect me when i crash next time?

depends on the crash, doesn't it... but if this one doesn't protect me next time, chances are pretty friggin high that a new one wouldn't have done any better.

spyderchick

Okay, that's it, drop the kitten and slowly back away...
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Knightslugger

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

alexm

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM
Hello everyone!

I'll be competing in the Amatuer Middleweight classes next year

Haha bingo! That's all you had to say dude...amateur middleweight. Chances are you're going to crash or someone will crash into you. +1 to replace it, like others have mentioned it costs less than a set of tires and it protects your brain.

Burt Munro

Hey Knightslugger,

Just out of curiosity, what Region will you be racing in?
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

DEVINC

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 08, 2009, 10:15:38 AM

Devinc, what makes you so certain that it's truly unsafe?

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 08, 2009, 10:15:38 AM
Devinc, what makes you so certain that it's truly unsafe?

I am certain that it is truly unsafe because I am using my magic powers......  :err: Really though, it is just a risk that is not worth taking. I understand that there may not have been a "hard impact" on the helmet but an impact is an impact. Plus, the picture looks like the outer shell has been affected. Looks like more than a scratch of the "coating." If the outer shell is visibly damaged then all bets are off. Not to mention the damage of the inner foam that you typically can't see. Cut some $ from somewhere else and buy a new helmet. How many concussions have you had? If HJC won't test it then don't buy another HJC. I have seen some pretty cheap AGV solid color helmets out there. Arai can be cheap if you get it at the right place and don't get graphics.

BTW what region are you in. Out of curiousity.

Knightslugger

Midwest Region

RA
BFR
Topeka... etc.

DevinC, your reply is rather hard to read... but i'll try to respond.

An impact is NOT an impact. there's soft through hard. It's not so black and white. The moment you say compromised, it doesn't go black. it's now a shade of gray. Maybe it's ok, maybe it's not. if it were cut and dried (black and white, however you want to say it) then NO ONE would do re-certification on helmets AND I MEAN NO ONE. The fact of the matter is that there IS re-certification out there, and that means there has to be some gray.

the top coat is Polyurethane. Same stuff on your car. it flakes and lifts off pretty easily. the scraches are from a soft impact into rocky pavement. a few high points on the pavement chipped through the clear coat, and left the over penetration on the shell. VERY LITTLE OVER PENETRATION OCCURRED. the number of scratches also indicate, somewhat, the heft of the impact and duration on the pavement. not very many means not very long. also given that the only places that have clear coat lift are at the scratch sites indicates that the shell did not flex so there's no question the EPS was not a factor in protection. the only thing that got wear from protection was the shell, but wear only and not a deal breaker for me. if the CF was frayed or cut, it'd be a different story. i'm not as cavalier as ya'll make me out to be.

zero concussions.

HJC wont test because they DONT test. if they DID test, but WOULDN'T test, now that's a different story.

I have a replacement on the way from an incredibly awesome friend. Now i have two perfectly crashible helmets

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

spyderchick

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 08, 2009, 12:55:17 PM
Midwest Region

RA
BFR
Topeka... etc.

Well then, Mr. Burt Munro will certainly be making your acquaintance...  :ahhh: :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org