News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Protective Gear Question

Started by Knightslugger, December 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

HAWK

Why does tech even look at the riders gear?

Wait, maybe it's because people will show up with gear that's not up to the task then sue someone else because they got hurt. Tech looks at helmets, boots, gloves, leathers....because some people think that safety rules are a nusiance.

As far as a helmet, the manufacturer spent a lot of time figuring out where it could cut weight, make things thinner etc. Then the helmet was tested by a safety organization to be sure that the R&D that the manufacturer did is valid and sound. Then you crashed it and all of the above went out the window. Helmets are designed to withstand 1 crash and they are DONE. The helmet is designed to absorb the G load by disintegrating, sometimes in ways you can see sometimes in ways you cannot detect. The damage on the helmet that you posted shows that it has done this in protecting you to as least some degree which means that to some degree it's ability to do it again is diminished. personally, I've thrown out helmets with a lot less damage than that.

As far as Rick is concerned, some riders will come to tech with all their gear a hundred times and he never finds anything wrong. Others will show up with a different problem every weekend. If you are a member of the second group expect to get looked at carefully. Personally I welcome a thourough tech inspection, maybe that's because in my line of work a second set of eyes is always considered a good thing
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

eboos

Quote from: HAWK on December 07, 2009, 05:52:26 PM
Personally I welcome a thourough tech inspection, maybe that's because in my line of work a second set of eyes is always considered a good thing

I agree. I've had tech point things out to me that I hadn't noticed before, but would have been a problem if I raced with it. It's nice to have a second set of eyes.

Their job isn't to make sure that you have to spend more money. Their job is to make sure that your equipment is safe for you and others out on the track.
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2
2010 Sponsors: Precision HD/Buell, Precision Triumph, Boston Moto, Superbike Toy Store, Pilot, Braking, RK Chains

Knightslugger

It's no wonder everyone goes broke racing...

Knightslugger

Quote from: Farmboy on December 07, 2009, 05:28:56 PM
Sorry if we all come off as harsh, but this shit is dangerous, and you're getting off on the wrong foot from step one as we all potentially have to deal with the consequences if any of us screw up (and we do.) Little advice: if you disagree with the answers to your question, keep it to yourself. You won't change a single mind by continuing to argue your case. Believe me, I try it all the time...

disagree with answers? i was only given one so far, of which i don't disagree with at all in fact i'd like to hear more.

unless the pass/fail is thrown out the window by one person's opinion... then what the hell, i've got no choice, do i?

dylanfan53

Quote from: HAWK on December 07, 2009, 05:52:26 PM
The helmet is designed to absorb the G load by disintegrating, sometimes in ways you can see sometimes in ways you cannot detect.
...but what if he has xray eyes?  huh?  what about that? 
Don Cook
CCS #53

Knightslugger

Jesus H Christ, will you guys GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!

The inner EPS is flawless
The outer shell is uncrushed
I cannot for the life of me depress the outer shell
If the outer shell took enough force to compress the outer EPS, the shell would display such damage.

It doesn't, therefore the entire EPS is intact and undamaged.

and yet all of you vehemently disagree?! because of a SCRATCH...?

So what will it take? hmm? Testing? Who'll test it? if you're going to give me any help at all, at least help me find someone that can re-certify it.

funsizeracing

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 07, 2009, 09:12:20 PM
Jesus H Christ, will you guys GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!

The inner EPS is flawless
The outer shell is uncrushed
I cannot for the life of me depress the outer shell
If the outer shell took enough force to compress the outer EPS, the shell would display such damage.

It doesn't, therefore the entire EPS is intact and undamaged.

and yet all of you vehemently disagree?! because of a SCRATCH...?

So what will it take? hmm? Testing? Who'll test it? if you're going to give me any help at all, at least help me find someone that can re-certify it.
Great, its perfect. 
So cover it up with a little paint and bondo so tech will never know, slap some duck tape on those leathers and go racing!
Is that what you were wanting to hear?
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Knightslugger

go back to post 1 if you're curious as to what i'm wanting to hear...

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

PJ721

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSi.pdf

read the part about replacing your helmet....page 4
to sum it up...if you are too lazy to click and read...

"Replacing Your Helmet
Replace your helmet if it was involved in a crash;"
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

tstruyk

Best youre gonna get from these yahoo's...

QuoteWhat do you think? Will this pass tech...
probably not

Quoteor do i have to go get a new friggin helmet?...
Probably

as mentioned you have had everyone from first year racers on up to the top of the CCS food chain chime in on this convo.

you are asking questions that have opinion based answers because unless you hand the helmet to THAT tech inspector on THAT day you are arent going to get anything more definative than that.  Tech can vary from track to track and from day to day... Just ask anyone thats been smacked with a DQ mid season for having "unofficial CCS Yellow" number plates   ::)  As mentioned when someone tries to sneak a subpar piece of equipment through tech they are MORE likely to notice it the second time through.  Those that are notorious for having immaculate machines are scrutinized less, repeat offenders are looked over more thoroughly.  Probably the same for a first year AM trying to get a banged up lid through tech... nothing personal just sayin...

I betcha Rick will be checking my clipons extra tough the next 5 years or so (damn woodcrafts and their bolts on the back of the clip on... thats why friends dont let me work on my own shit!  lol)

Much love to ya Burt!  If I dont see ya at the xmas party sat are you workin the Ho Ho show sunday?  

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

GSXR RACER MIKE

WOW, this thread evolved from serious into a 'mess with the new guy' thread alot faster than normal!  :spank:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96