Protective Gear Question

Started by Knightslugger, December 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

Knightslugger

Quote from: spyderchick on December 07, 2009, 02:58:46 PM
As I understand it, you want someone else to tell you to take the risk.

You are mistaken. I'm asking for technical information on Pass / Fail. Will it pass tech? That's not the same question as "Should i wear it? Is it safe?". Unfortunately those are the majority of answers I am getting, to a question I am not asking.

the damage to the shell of the helmet speaks for itself. it did not take a 40 MPH obtuse strike. It touched the ground momentarily while i was sliding/tumbling

Look i don't want to fight with any of you. the helmet was scratched while i was sliding, which means it hit the deck. no question about it! BUT, if it hit the deck HARD there would be MUCH more substantial damage to the shell if that was that was truly the case due to it's construction. the top coat is incredibly thin and brittle. Epoxy? no, apparently it's a Polyurethane clear coat. the CF shell is scratched. yes. undoubtedly. bad enough to snap when struck? unlikely, in my opinion.

i have enough faith in the helmet that it has not been compromised and will protect me in the event it has to serve it's purpose. OK? Are we all clear on this?

Quote from: Boober on December 07, 2009, 02:44:34 PM
Look at it from a totally different angle......you take off work, spend all day friday getting your transport vehicle loaded, bike loaded, tools, gear, etc. You drive however many hours to camp or hotel it overnight, get to the track at the crack of dawn....pay your weekend gate fee...register....unload your stuff and set up your pits.  Now it's time to go see Rick in tech. Lug your bike and all your gear over to tech to wait in line for 15 minutes( Rick is sooooo slow in the morning) and you cannot ride because your helmet does not pass tech!!!  Now you can hope a trackside vendor has your size in some weird brand of helmet which will cost you $$450 or try to borrow one or you can take advantage of the off season sales and get a new one NOW!

ps don't forget to put your number on both sides of the helmet

That's why i'm asking, so i can be prepared before i get there.

Burt Munro

Dear Knightslugger,

Please don't come to any of the races I'll be working.  I don't think you're going into this with the proper frame of mind.  If you're going to question all of this logical advice that is specifically aimed at keeping you alive, it makes me wonder what other rules/regulations you'll choose to disregard and find a short cut around.

On the other hand, print off the responses you received here and share them with someone whose opinion you respect and who cares about you being around for a few more years.  We haven't been able to get thru to you - maybe they'll be able to.

Here's to hoping that you figure it out!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

tstruyk

not to speak out of turn but if "in the opinoin of the tech inspector" the competitor is attempting to compete with equipment that is deemed "unsafe"... doesnt the tech inspector have the final say in wether or not it is a "pass or fail"?

I would HOPE that Rick has the power to allow or disallow someone from competing with equipment that may cause injury the individual competitor or worse others... regardless of what the "specifics" of the rules are.  Example... overly scratched face shield.  

I think you are asking question that requires an opinion of the person that will be inspecting the helment on that day at that track.  Some tech inspectors will tell you any damaged is too much damage... others may not.  Kinda arbitrary

take the advice given to save yourself the aggravation of the aforementioned scenario.  I would imagine if you where to poll ccs racers as a whole, more often than not they bring more than one helmet to the track... I bring 3  :biggrin:
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Knightslugger

Certainly, it's sound advice to bring (or at least have access to) more than one helmet.

eboos

The summary is this:

There is too great a chance that the helmet is damaged to the point of not passing inspection. You should replace it. What is the date of manufacture? If it's 5 years old or older, it would fail anyway. If it's close, you should take it upon yourself to determine that it's usability is questionable. Just get another helmet.

Get the same model as your current one if you like, and then get them both inspected. If the first one passes, then you have a great backup/rain helmet. It would be a good idea to have a second one anyway just incase you junk yours during a race weekend.
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2
2010 Sponsors: Precision HD/Buell, Precision Triumph, Boston Moto, Superbike Toy Store, Pilot, Braking, RK Chains

Knightslugger

Quote from: Burt Munro on December 07, 2009, 04:20:02 PM
Dear Knightslugger,

Please don't come to any of the races I'll be working.  I don't think you're going into this with the proper frame of mind.  If you're going to question all of this logical advice that is specifically aimed at keeping you alive, it makes me wonder what other rules/regulations you'll choose to disregard and find a short cut around.

WOW. That's a hell of a thing to say...

spyderchick

The racers are telling you to get a new helmet, a tech inspector basically told you to get a new helmet in a very round about way, and HJC told you to get a new helmet.

So logically, you should ignore this advice. Paint the scratches and wear it, the tech guy will never know.  ::)

PS: try putting a 750 motor in a 600, they won't notice that either... :lmao:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Burt Munro

That comment was based on my experience of doing Tech for the last 7 years.

I am pretty confident that any other Tech Inspector would tell you the same thing.  

90% of our issues in Tech come from 10% of the riders.  When you see a rider try to slide something questionable thru Tech it makes you start looking closer at everything else.  

If someone feels they are above the rules in one area there's a good chance they have the same opinion on most/all other rules.  

It may be a harsh reality, but I've found it to be true.

As I said before, you don't appear to value our opinions.  Find someone whose opinion you respect and have them read thru this - see if they come to the same conclusion that you have.

spyderchick

For the record, Rick (Burt Monro) is a good guy and being way nice by looking out for you.

You might want to give some weight to what he has to say.

We love you Rick! Love live the pole dancer!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Burt Munro

Thanks a lot Alexa!

Now everybody knows about the Pole Dancer!   :cheers:

spyderchick

Quote from: Burt Munro on December 07, 2009, 05:06:22 PM
Thanks a lot Alexa!

Now everybody knows about the Pole Dancer!   :cheers:

Hey, that little pole dancer made us some good money!  :boink: :)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Farmboy

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 07, 2009, 04:45:42 PM
WOW. That's a hell of a thing to say...

Yeah, don't mind Rick. The rest of us will welcome you with open arms; we just love new guys who disregard all our advice as they usually turn out to be the safest, most consistent, and considerate riders on the track. I bet you'll win every race, too.

This is such an inherently safe sport that we don't mind the prospect of riding with individuals who set a precedent like this before they even grid up for their first race. After all, if/when you screw up, what's the absolute worst that could happen to those who are near you at the time?

Sorry if we all come off as harsh, but this shit is dangerous, and you're getting off on the wrong foot from step one as we all potentially have to deal with the consequences if any of us screw up (and we do.) Little advice: if you disagree with the answers to your question, keep it to yourself. You won't change a single mind by continuing to argue your case. Believe me, I try it all the time...
Jim Berard CCS MW#904