News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Protective Gear Question

Started by Knightslugger, December 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

skiandclimb

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 07, 2009, 10:48:53 AM

Christ

EXACTLY!  Anytime we can walk away from a get-off it is a good thing....and He should be thanked.

I apologize if my post came off as "preachy" but I do a program with children, where I show them wrecked racing helmets and show them the need for proper, well maintained safety gear.  Luckily, many of my racing buddies around here will give me their wrecked lids to show the kids.

I looked again at those pics, and noticed the scrape(s) appears to have compromised the exopy resin, and first layer of CF.  It also looks like it is somewhere in the middle/back of the lid?  First off, bro- I am not a helmet "expert" nor am I Dr. Phil....so I'll keep the preachy stuff to a minimum!

Here's my thoughts- with a scrape like yours on the back, middle portion of the lid, I would be weary of this compromising the integrity of the lid from a side impact.  Here's an example:

Take a piece of quality, properly resined CF.  Now flex it.  If it's good, high quality stuff- it will flew and not crack.  Now, merely score the CF with a utility knife and flex in the same manner.  It will crack at the point of existing damage.

Take this and apply it to your melon during a race.  You tip into a corner at 110 MPH or so, in a tight pack of racers.  The guy on your inside makes a line correction, or loses the front  and causes you to go down.  Ask Tom Shaw about this, but racers do get run over sometimes.  We also hit walls sometimes.  I don't want to do either of these with a compromised helmet.  Furthermore, I do not wish to see a fellow racer get a serious head injury (or worse) because of an inadequate helmet.  ...Hence our quasi-preachiness.

Racing is filled with inherent risks.  We do everything to limit these risks by using good gear, and allowing a tech inspector to act as an impartial judge.  You will often see racers with some fugly leathers that have been brought back to life, but never with a compromised helmet.

Anywho, best regards, and again- I hope I'm not coming off as a dick. I've had a few buddies go down and receive some VERY serious injuries.  This stuff is risky enough, bro.  We want you to grid up and also go home at the end of the day in your own vehicle.

Peace,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Knightslugger

skiandclimb

Yes, age of the lid (stamped inside) as well as its safety rating, or lack of.  IE: Snell, DOT Euro etc.  Also, the chin strap, shield attachment points, loose vents etc etc.

Hope this helps,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Knightslugger

specifics would be appreciated. the rule book says very little about anything.

spyderchick

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 07, 2009, 12:15:43 PM
specifics would be appreciated. the rule book says very little about anything.

So basically, no matter what advice you get on just replacing compromised gear, if tech would pass that helmet you would wear it?

Your melon, you decide whether it's worth the risk.

Hey Rick, if you see this lid come through tech you can give the owner a nice lecture.  :preachon:  :biggrin:

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

GSXR RACER MIKE

The advice your getting here is from people who are actively involved in the very sport your going to be participating in, so far people in race control / racer support / and experienced racers have all responded, I wouldn't discredit the advice you get here too quickly.

Many of us have been hurt (sometimes really bad), had freinds that were, or were there when fellow racers were injured, paralyzed, or even killed - safety isn't something taken lightly in actual racing. Sending the helmet to the manufacturer for a professional inspection is inexpensive and provides peace of mind, I can't even fathom why you wouldn't go that route?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Knightslugger

never said i wouldn't... As i said before, HJC has an email.

I asked about tech, i was given a unanimous MAYBE, i asked about the technical requirements for pass/fail and i got two.

If i can save >$400 by not purchasing a new helmet because the one i have is perfectly fine because i know the technical requirements of pass/fail and inspected it myself BEFORE race day (Before i drop >$90) and i know the same procedure will be done by tech, you can bet your bottom that i will.

Quote from: spyderchick on December 07, 2009, 12:21:28 PM
So basically, no matter what advice you get on just replacing compromised gear, if tech would pass that helmet you would wear it?

Hell yes.

Knightslugger

Response from HJC:

"In response to your inquiry, we do not offer any such inspection program.  We recommend to replace a helmet after any drops or impacts including accidents.  Scratches and chips you can either buff out or get touch up paint at any hardware store.  Paint has to be 2 stage urethane automotive paint with base and clear coat combo."

The next pat makes me roll my eyes...

"We appreciate your business and contributions in making HJC Helmet North
America's number one helmet selling company for the past decade.

Please visit www.hjchelmets.com for our new and exciting product line (FS-15, IS-16,
CL-16, Sy-Max II, IS-Max, FS-3, FS-2, IS-33, IS-2, CS-2N, CS-5N, SPXN, CL-X6, CL-XY)
alongside recent past models.  There are still more new models to come very soon in the future!

Thank You.

Sincerely,
Fritzie Cota
HJCA Customer Service Rep"

'We don't test em, we prefer you to buy a new one!'  :lmao: :rollseyes: :banghead:

HerbigCBR

I do not come to the track with just one helmet, I always have a spare just in case anything happens. (crash, rain, theft, tech, etc)
I personally would buy a new one and keep that one for the street or a backup. Racing is not cheap, but thats not a place to corners either.
Jared Herbig - CCS #323
Thanks to: Spears Racing - TSE

Boober

Look at it from a totally different angle......you take off work, spend all day friday getting your transport vehicle loaded, bike loaded, tools, gear, etc. You drive however many hours to camp or hotel it overnight, get to the track at the crack of dawn....pay your weekend gate fee...register....unload your stuff and set up your pits.  Now it's time to go see Rick in tech. Lug your bike and all your gear over to tech to wait in line for 15 minutes( Rick is sooooo slow in the morning) and you cannot ride because your helmet does not pass tech!!!  Now you can hope a trackside vendor has your size in some weird brand of helmet which will cost you $$450 or try to borrow one or you can take advantage of the off season sales and get a new one NOW!

ps don't forget to put your number on both sides of the helmet

spyderchick

If it doesn't matter what we say, just wear the damn thing and take your chances. I think George already said this.

As I understand it, you want someone else to tell you to take the risk. Ain't gonna happen. There's a cumulative experience in this thread that is telling you to retire it if it took a good impact. 40 mph is a good impact. Follow that with a 80-120 mph impact and expect the helmet to do it's job? Maybe in your world that sounds like a good idea, not in mine.

QuoteI took a bad tumble last June and it seems my helmet got a little scraped. i know it didn't hit the pavement hard, but some have questioned the soundess pf the helmet. Personally, i have no doubt in my mind that it took no hit and is 100% reuasable.

Considering the conflict in the above sentence, you have no real idea of the type of impact that you had.

Do what you want, you are old enough to get a race license, so you are old enough to sign the waiver that states you are responsible for yourself and your conduct on the track. That includes the personal choices you make in the gear you wear during a sanctioned event. 

I'm generally not this obviously irritated by a post, but considering I hear tons of crash stories both as part of my work and through the Red Flag Fund, I know the consequences of inches, seconds and a bad decision. We want you in one piece to be competitive for a long time. If you take a casual attitude to the single most important item of safety gear when you are just getting started, what else might you cut corners on? You might want to reflect on the overall cost of competing in this sport, not just the monetary cost, but the physical and emotional costs that come with racing.

Good luck, and much success for the future.   
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Burt Munro

Quote from: Boober on December 07, 2009, 02:44:34 PM
 Now it's time to go see Rick in tech. Lug your bike and all your gear over to tech to wait in line for 15 minutes( Rick is sooooo slow in the morning) and you cannot ride because your helmet does not pass tech!!!  

Boober,

Remind me what your race # is again.  I want to make sure your Tech Inspection at your next race gets 'special attention' !   :ass:   :biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!