News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Safety wire project

Started by cgorham, January 17, 2007, 01:16:34 PM

cgorham

I've been going around my bike tying up everything I can find.  I have some questions about whether what I did is correct or not...  First on coolant lines I put a loop around the screw on the hose clamp and twisted it tight, then I wrapped it around the house onto the metal tab on the other side and twisted it tight on the last slot.  Next for the exhaust hanging nut+bolt I tied the alan head up and pulled the wire around a corner and onto the other side with the bolt... Is it ok to make two turns like this?  I'm just afraid some of these wires will rub from vibration and eventually breaK.  I can post pictures later tonight.

Secondly the edmonton road racing association has a tech guide where they show a chain safety wired.  Since the chain thats on this bike has a clip style master link I was wondering if I could do the same thing or if you guys think this is a little bit sketchy.  see the website http://www.emra.ca/Tech%20Tips/Tech%20Tips.htm

Chris

Jeff

Just my opinion, but that hose clamp wiring is useless as they hoses will pop off LONG before the wire comes into play.  Additionally, the chain wiring is useless as depicted as the sprockets will cut the wire in short order.

I draw the line at safety wiring the tires to the wheels...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

123user

Wiring your chain's master link is unnecessary unless using a clip style.  The picture on the sketch is correct though. (I believe its showing the link on the underside of the swingarm  If done properly the wire will not come off.  1st the clip should be facing the correct direction (closed end in the direction of running) and towards the outside of the bike.  You should use the pliers to squash the two ends together before twisting... remember to have the twisted ends pointing away from sprockets.  Also, don't twist too hard.  try it a few times and you'll understand.  Finally, put a dab of silicon on it to "glue" it in place.

Don't let anybody tell you that a clip style is "dangerous".  Just install it correctly after everytime your remove your chain for cleaning.  Wiring the clip forces you to look at it... making sure it's installed correctly.   That's the primary importance of wiring-everything.

Are your using an o-ring or non-oring chain?   Non-o-ring chains should be lubricated daily and cleaned after every weekend.

Team_Serpent

Quote from: 123user on January 17, 2007, 04:43:17 PMDon't let anybody tell you that a clip style is "dangerous". 

Nah, it's not dangerous - until the clip comes off and the chain jams between the front drive sprocket and the cases, puts a crack in the case and spills oil on the track or your rear tire.

It wasn't dangerous for me when my clip came off at the start just after I launched the bike from the front row of the grid and 40 some odd bikes nearly ass packed me. That was a lesson learned.

Loose the clip and get the rivet style and the tool to install it.  Lot cheaper than many examples I could give that have happened to people over the years running clip style.

123user

Why did your clip come off??  Was it wired? Was it siliconed in place? Was it installed correctly?  Proper installation is the key!  Surely it didn't "break" .  I've never seen an actual "broken" master link yet

Always squeeze the side plates together with pliers before attempting to install the clip.  Frequently a clip will appear to be properly hooked in the groove but just be barely in because there is not enough exposed groove.

I agree that a rivet links have reduced clip-loss- but they sure make chain maintenence a pain.

In the thousands of miles I've logged offroad, on track, on street with clips... I'm convinced they can be used safely... But hell, I still use non-o-ring chains (low friction=more power)

Sobottka

ive not had good luck w/ clip style master links either... ive wired them every way possible silicone/rtv too. the clip never has stayed on for very long,  luckily i never lost the chain... its not worth the risk.... and yes they do break
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Jeff

123,  Team Serpent isn't your average fly-by-night racer...  If shit failed, it was very unlikely due to an improper installation...

That said, I've raced for 3 years with clip-links and never had one fail... 

The problem with MOST failures (I won't claim this to be Temme's problem) is incorrect installation.  Even with the clip-style, you need a plate press to get the plate on correctly.  Additionally, a misaligned rear wheel will pop a clip master link quick as can be, where it won't pop the rivet style, but instead just chew up the rear sprocket...

Properly installed, maintained & aligned, the risks are mitigated significantly.  However, a clip style is STILL a higher risk than a rivet link (all things equal - proper installation, etc).
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

GSXR RACER MIKE

As far as the clip style master links go, they are all I have used since I started racing in '96 and I have never had one come off (I have never safety wired one in my life). I don't know if it's because I'm doing something different, triple checking to make sure the backing plate is seated all the way before installing the clip, or if it's just because I buy the more expensive chains? Thinking about this the only chain I have ever had fail in my life was a stock chain installed from the factory (riveted), and that was because it was worn and started binding. Of course this is just my experience, it's certainly not a guarentee you won't have a problem.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

cgorham

More questions....

Can/should I safety wire the front sprocket?  I looked at it the other day and the locking tab/metal piece you bend over the nut was not installed right... as in the front spocket could have spun itself loose eventually.  Is it way overkill to use a locking tab and safety wire the nut to the sprocket?

Also there is an oil cooler and a brass/metal tube(I assume for oil) in the front part of my engine(2000 R6) do both of these items need to be somehow safety wired?

Finally for oil galley bolts what kind of sealant do I need to use?  I heard safety wiring those can be a PITA.

Thanks for all the help, everything is going real well on my bike otherwise finally.  I got the engine cover leaks fixed and fixed a whole bunch of broken threads from prior crash damage.

Team_Serpent

Quote from: 123user on January 17, 2007, 07:16:51 PMWas it wired? Was it siliconed in place? Was it installed correctly?

Yes, yes and yes.

Team_Serpent

Quote from: Jeff on January 17, 2007, 08:53:59 PM123,  Team Serpent isn't your average fly-by-night racer...  If shit failed, it was very unlikely due to an improper installation...

Thank You

251am

Quote from: cgorham on January 18, 2007, 05:34:15 PMMore questions....Can/should I safety wire the front sprocket?  locking tab and safety wire the nut to the sprocket?

What series are you racing? Edmonton?