Michelin Tire Question

Started by H-man, January 08, 2007, 01:31:03 PM

H-man

Aside from the compound ratings of soft, medium-soft, medium, etc, I understand that Michelin's DOT race tire the Power Race has PR1, PR2 and PRC codings.

I've heard the PRC tires are only available from trackside ventors.

So here's my question, is there a noticable difference with the PRCs?  I don't just mean "yeah, they're grippy as hell and will knock seconds off lap times."  I'm wondering: (a) is the tire profile is different (from the PR1 or PR2 Power Race tires)?; (b) has anyone experienced greater difficulty/ease setting up their bike when using the PRCs?  (c) has anyone experienced greater difficulty/ease with stability or cornering when using the PRCs?

Feel free to share other aspects I may have omitted.

TIA
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Super Dave

I did not care for the PR1/2 myself.  I wanted the old S2, etc. after using them.  PRC is really, really good.  It is more like the old S2 style tire. 

Might be new tires later this year.

And the Pilot Power is really good. 
Super Dave

H-man

Thanks for the comeback SD.

Quote from: Super Dave on January 08, 2007, 01:43:45 PMAnd the Pilot Power is really good. 

I agree COMPLETELY about the Pilot Powers!  That's all I used last year.  Figured I'd follow the advice of a number of others and try out the full race DOTs.    Except when the ambient temp. is below 50.  Then I'll use the PPs  :thumb:

Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

benprobst

yes, the PRC's are significantly better than the 1s and 2s. They require a different set up, they are very triangular in shape compared to the round 1 and 2. I ran mostly slicks on my superbike sv all year, but a few times we rode the ss sv in endurance races, and once or twice I rode a PR1 back to back with a PRC and there really wasnt much comparison. and +1 on the PP i won more races on those than I did on slicks last year.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

251am

Quote from: benprobst on January 08, 2007, 06:26:08 PM
yes, the PRC's are significantly better than the 1s and 2s. They require a different set up, they are very triangular in shape compared to the round 1 and 2.

+1           C front  & 5 rear

The ease of set up aspect is such a huge variable dependent on your/your suspension guy's experience. What're you running now?

mq105

Your best bet is to talk to a Michelin rep and then try the tire. Tires are one of the most subjective aspects of riding/racing. The C is 9mm taller than the PR2, and is different in other ways as well. Closer to a discontinued Michelin tire ...

And that's what I think, or not...
MQ 
FL  #283

Sobottka

if you can get a C, thats the one you want.   no problems... best dot hands down!
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

dylanfan53

Hola H!
LIke someone said, The "c" profile is more triangulated.  Michelin went rounder (like Pirelli's) a couple years ago.  For me, the "c" profile was a welcome return since it felt like it flicked easier.  (I miss that aspect of the SV!)  I don't recall what tire you were on last year.
BTW, I never changed setup.  I realize the "c" is taller but it really wasn't much of a change on the SV. Soft front, #5 rear.  Tom Mason can hook you up.  612 250-9122.

Don Cook
CCS #53

H-man

Thanks to everyone for your genuine feedback  :thumb:

S'up Don!  Happy New Year my friend!   Ya know, that little scroll bar under your avatar is kinda interesting.  By sliding it back and forth, I can give your pic a little motion.  Not as impressive though as when you and Ed Key went flying around me in the sweeper  at Gingerman a couple years ago.  :biggrin:

Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

Super Dave

More about the C and the 1/2.

The shape isn't my problem.  What bothered me the most was the movement of the carcass.  I found that I was uncomfortable enough that I dramatically increased tire pressure.  Then I even threw on an old rear (M2/S2), which is shorter than the new race tire.  That helped, but it still wasn't the tire that made me the happiest.

We made proper geometry changes to account for the front and rear changes the first time around also.
Super Dave

catman

GReat info -you guys seperate the 2 sites i watch by your willingness ! thanks - this is great, noobs should stay here!-john in victory gardens, thanks DAWN +

Sobottka

Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe