What will kit ECU do for you ?

Started by burniepd, January 19, 2005, 06:47:19 AM

Super Dave

I don't have the Yami ECU...

I know someone that does.

As I understand it, he can make several maps.  And then he can switch them virtually immediately.  1, 2, 3.  

So, if you're running in a class that allows you 100HP on a Factory dyno...you can use number 1.  No rules for HP, use number 2.  Maybe you have another map that's for the rain that makes power differently to get out of corners.  

Yamaha has the ability to change the stock program by jumping a wire...you can then get in to specific tuning...even each cylinder.  

I haven't seen the PC's as the ultimate end all. They have limitations...but sponsorship puts them on bikes in the AMA and then they get used at the club level.
Super Dave

03R6-Rider

QuoteWith the right knowledge and tools (mechanic and dyno) you can tweak in your powercommander because YOU can write the file itself thru a graphical PC based software.  
With the ECU, you CAN'T write software.  You can only select from what options they give you, and if what you need isn't in one of the settings, or the setting doesn't work right, you're screwed.  You have no option other than to completely rewrite the OS of the ECU.

To be clear:  You can't "write software" with either tool.  The software is written.  In either case, your're making offsets to the ECU calibration values already in place.  PC does it inline with the injectors themselves, Kit ECU does it internally and puts the adjusted signal out via its drivers.  In both cases, you're limited to what the software allows you to change.  

For a self-proclaimed "expert," you aren't very clear (nor accurate) in your posts.  

And - it's parameters.  If you're changing the perimeters of the ECU, you bettah have a torch and a bitchin' set of tools, Skippy.  

cornercamping

It'll be a minute for my replies.  I started typing, and closed the browser half way thru  >:(

;D

Frank_Angel

Read "Developing an Engine Control System" in Circuit Cellar INK, issues 62, 63 and 64. Ed Lansinger wrote a very detailed article on reprogramming an ECU for an FZR 600.

cornercamping

Hi Frank  :)

I decided to type it all out in word and then copy and paste it so I don't lose it again  ;D