Formula 40 Rules

Started by CCS, June 17, 2002, 08:08:38 AM

stillslow

Hey guys, I'm sorry I said anything.  I thought Formula 40 was about the AGE of the rider not the size of his tool. Sceeews me.......

baltobuell

Hey stillslow, sorry about the gruffness of that post from whoever it was. Don't worry about it. From the thoughtful response you posted earlier, I'll be glad to see you grid next to me anytime. It just seems everyone is concerned about closing speed. Justifiably so. So get a cheap 600 or SV (or better yet, a Buell :D) and enjoy that there is still enough vinagar in us to be out there.  I didn't race for 25 years and F40 brought me back to life. Not racing sucks, the class you are riding as a backmarker would suck, spring for the right bike and I guarentee you will enjoy it more.

Hurry up and have some fun before alzheimers gets us.

stillslow

I will go to a smaller bike to get out of racing with Johnny Hotshoe. I suffer from a serious love of racing and motorcycles. The bike I have now is my 105th bike. I have had bikes since 1962. It gets harder and harder to explain to my wife why I race. She says "You're not a kid anymore"  I tell her it is safer on the track with everyone going the same way and no driveways to contend with. "I am only going to go as fast as I want to go, the only way I could get hurt is if one of the younger racers runs me off the track"  I got my casts off June 6th and can go back to work hopfully July 18th. You guessed it While being lapped I was bumped off the track by Johnny Hotshoe April 13th at VIR. I would like to think it was not intentional but I can't convince myself of that. IF given the choice not to race or race with people who still think a Factory sponsorship is still a possibility, then I would go back to street racing. SAFER.......

bILL dAVENPORT

CORC HEAVYWEIGHT AND LIGHTWEIGHT--600, 750,OPEN CLASSES,   AND EVERYTHING ELSE...SV650, GS500, 250GP BIKES, FZR400 ETC....2 SEPARATE RACES....POSSIBLE?

baltobuell

I'm glad there is a expert/amature seperation. I don't think the grids are big enough to seperate HW/LW. It would be cool though.
 Wait a minute, next year I'll have to move up. Instead of expert/amature, lets seperate LW/HW instead. :D

roadracer797

I believe we need to do something to make the racing in formula 40 more competive, no matter what it is either by size of bike or get rid of the big bikes.

stillslow

What do you mean by "More competitive"? Rider's skills? Size of bikes? AGE? If you are going to limit the size of the bikes to make it safer for the "older guys" , then maybe 600s. But wait, those suckers are fast, too. Maybre 250s. Nope,  I've been passed by some mighty fast 250s. Why not limit it by AGE??? Say for Example 40 and over. LW & HW is a good idea.

CCS

We won't base our decision on just this poll, but from the response so far, I do not believe a full vote is needed yet. If the rules committee chooses to give this change it's full consideration, we will mail out a questionaire to all the 39 year old's and above asking what they think.

See you at the races....
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

stillslow

Kevin, and everyone else, thanks for listening. For or against I thought it needed to be aired. This is not the stone ages when one's bike size makes you a "Superman who can't be beat because he has a "Supercrotchrocket 1300". Look at the results of any class that allows Open class machines and I assure you that most are dominated by lesser size bikes. Let it be AGE that determines the class and not the fear of larger bikes. If like the ads say "The GSXR 1000 is a monster and super-fast, then why isn't every class that accepts them to enter dominated by them?
    If we are trusted to compete on them with younger guys it would only seem right to let us compete with people of our own age group on them. If it's a safety factor, I think I can maime myself on a 125cc Gilera or 125cc Derby just as bad, or even a 100cc Hodaka, not to mention a GSXR 750.
    LET the FORMULA 40 be classed by age not bike size.

roadracer797

Stillslow, I believe if all us over 40 guys were on the same size bike we good put on a better show for the fans and have more fun ourselves. I know how fast the 600's are because I ride one and I'm able to race with the guys on the same size but when you go up against bigger bikes they seem to just pull away and that just does not make for fun racing, which is why I got into this sport to begin with.

baltobuell

The difference is closing speed. Seriously, lap times have nothing to do with it. Coming up on a lapper at the end of the straight and realizing 1 second before impact how different your speed is, is frightining for everone. And I'm on a 90hp bike.
 Then there was a 250 at Summit, I sware the guy rode his ass off, but once the straight came, it seemed embarrassing to pass him. I didn't beat him, even though I was first to the checker, I just out throttled him and there is no reward in that.
 The reward comes from the competition. In knowing.
   You could turn a 1.12 at Summit and it would be meaningless if not for other riders. The wood is just a symbol. Knowing you earned it fair and square is what it's all about.
   When a 750 beats me, I don't worry about it. When a SV beats me, I think about what I can do better. SV's beating me are what keep it fun and challanging.

stillslow

Going back to the original thought, If 750s are now about the same in top speed and acceleration as the open class bikes, Then what is the reason for limiting the size of the bike. It is unfair to some of the 600s and the SVs, but it is just as unfair to the 600s and SVs to let the 750s compete there,too. My entire comment is "Open class motorcycles should be allowed to compete with 750s. You can't tell me it is the speed of the bike that is the difference".
   One small thought, if you turn 1.12 on your Rupp minibike and I turn 1.13 on my"Supercrotchrocket 1700", Who won?