News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

race of champions?

Started by wera331, May 15, 2002, 01:16:24 PM

Eric Kelcher

Not really fair to do it by season points IMO. some regions do not have the turnout or level of competition in some of the classes so that rider will have an advantage and could win a national cahmpionship based on weak regional races. Waht you talk about is done with the WERA vintage program. And I witnessed excatly the scenario I peak happen where a rider with NO competition for the year won the championship over riders who had fields of 10+. Not saying he was not a good rider or even the best for the year but he won by default of his local competition.

The national championship at Daytona rewards you with grid position based on your regional riding, but you have to go up against the world as every racer in the world could be there. You prove yourself against the world riders not a select group. This done mean you need to be prepared when you go to Daytona and one slip could mean a title and you must be the best in the world and best prepared to win there (IMO)
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

fourandsix

Daytona is not a good judge on who is the best racer but rather who can spend the most and be very prepared. I have been going to Daytona for about 20 years. Someyears it has been very good sometimes it has been very bad.Skill does play an important part at Daytona as those that have been there a few times do have an advantage as far as drafting and the run to start finish. But HP is the King at Daytona , we have started last on the last wave in 4 lap races and won there , yes rider ability helped , but passing 20 bikes at a crack on the banking helped a lot. CCS would be better off having the ROC somewhere else , but the problem is you need a very large facility that can have 80 bikes on the track at a time and large enough pit area. Where could you find such a place with good weather most of the time. I sure there is no perfect answer but debate can bring up some ideas!

Eddie#200

QuoteDaytona is not a good judge on who is the best racer but rather who can spend the most and be very prepared. I have been going to Daytona for about 20 years. Some years it has been very good sometimes it has been very bad. Skill does play an important part at Daytona as those that have been there a few times do have an advantage as far as drafting and the run to start finish. But HP is the King at Daytona , we have started last on the last wave in 4 lap races and won there , yes rider ability helped , but passing 20 bikes at a crack on the banking helped a lot. CCS would be better off having the ROC somewhere else , but the problem is you need a very large facility that can have 80 bikes on the track at a time and large enough pit area. Where could you find such a place with good weather most of the time. I sure there is no perfect answer but debate can bring up some ideas!

It would be very nice to have the championship winner decided from total class points received all season.  I worked very hard and spent a lot of money racing one class as my focus this season.  At the end... someone with much less class points still won one race and all of the points I earned through out the season, all of the work, was for a second place.  Even though I had over a hundred points more. Leaves you feeling a bit short changed.  I say let all racers that work that hard for class points have them count for the champioship.  It would be easier to score too, No?

I don't think Nicky Hayden would like to see the whole season ballance on one race.

TiffineyIngram

Here's the problem with a national championship based on points--not every region has the same number of races, nor is the competition equal in all regions.  For example, this year the Southwest region had 9 races on their schedule and the Mid Atlantic region had 12.  Let's say, for argument's sake that the same guy won every race every weekend.  The Southwest champion would have 585 points, and the Mid Atlantic guy would have 780.  I'm sure you Pacific and Southwest guys would agree with me on that point.  Another inequality is the number of bikes in the field.  The average grid in the Mid Atlantic for Amateur Middleweight Supersport, for example, is a maxed out grid of 45-50.  In the Southwest, the average field is 15-20.  It wouldn't be fair to award the championship to a person who only had to beat 20 guys all year over a guy who had to fight off 45 all season solely because of his points total.  I'm sure you Mid Atlantic and Midwest guys would agree with this point.  So, from a spectator's point of view (that's really what I am), this levels the playing field.  You guys work your butts off to win regional championships--Daytona is just to determine who, out of the entire country, is the champion.  Your points are an advantage to you--you receive a better grid position for the more points you have.  However, the national championship is up for grabs on an even level for all.  True, Daytona is all about preparation, but isn't all racing about preparation?  The same argument can be used for Road America, Road Atlanta, etc, etc.  I do also see your point about how Daytona isn't in the middle of the country so it's a bit of a hike for those west coast guys and gals.  However, what track has the prestige that comes with the name "Daytona"?  We've held our Race of Champions at the beach for going on 20 years, and based on the rider surveys I have gotten back from you racers, 99% have been happy with when and where the ROC is held.  

Eric Kelcher

A series that is based on season long points is either the regional champonships or the National Road Race Series. The National Series sounds like what you want as it is a National championship based on season long points, as opposed to a CCS national championship which is based on one race. unfortunately there is not another way to win a National championship if you do not a run a Nationwide series (like the AMA championship that Nicky Hayden won or the FUSA championship that Michael Barnes won or the GNC that Matt Wait won)
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

r3card

hey eddie i cant help the pionts you had i only race south east region i wish i could have raced in the midarea too. i aslo worked very hard each race weekend luckily winning all my races. 585 points not encluding the last race i also won. there were no more points to get. plus at almost 49 years old in feb not bad since i just statred and never owned a sportsbike before.like tiff said this is the only way to bring everyone together at a single race. and you were on the pole pos. just my 2 cents. were are really gonna be shot for next year cause there are some 55sec guys in ex for 40.

Gixxer124

If your going to award a National Championship at a single race, then it shouldn't be held at the same track every year, PERIOD!  Will this change? No.

fourandsix

QuoteIf your going to award a National Championship at a single race, then it shouldn't be held at the same track every year, PERIOD!  Will this change? No.

Having it at Daytona every year has one advantage , the track is not local to anyone as the only times you can race there are the spring and fall. No real advantage for any local guys!

Eddie#200

Quotehey eddie i cant help the pionts you had i only race south east region i wish i could have raced in the midarea too. i aslo worked very hard each race weekend luckily winning all my races. 585 points not encluding the last race i also won. there were no more points to get. plus at almost 49 years old in feb not bad since i just statred and never owned a sportsbike before.like tiff said this is the only way to bring everyone together at a single race. and you were on the pole pos. just my 2 cents. were are really gonna be shot for next year cause there are some 55sec guys in ex for 40.

Yeah,  Reading Tiff's post gave me a better view on the subject.  

Too bad the number of races aren't the same from region to region.  It would be cool to run the season knowing how hard you need to push it going into the last round.  If the points were more quickly posted on the CCS web site, a rider could keep track of competition in other regions as he/she raced all season.  Next year???  Oh my gosh gotta run faster!

As far as me being on the pole... yep you just beat me Bob! ;)

r3card

eddie, you are a true champ anyway first or second does not matter other than bragging rights. i must say i just got lucky i knew you were on my tail. and you seemed to be one hella of a nice guy to. thats what this sport needs are more guys like you. see ya next year and have a happy christmas. you just got held up in the EXPERT traffic i am glad those guys were putting around . see ya

Eddie#200

Quoteeddie, you are a true champ anyway first or second does not matter other than bragging rights. i must say i just got lucky i knew you were on my tail. and you seemed to be one hella of a nice guy to. thats what this sport needs are more guys like you. see ya next year and have a happy christmas. you just got held up in the EXPERT traffic i am glad those guys were putting around . see ya

You forgot the better trophy!   ;)