News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

1991 and older bikes

Started by CaSpEr_Dude, November 24, 2002, 07:59:56 PM

Eric Kelcher

As Dave has said the F2 is much more capable machine even with older tires and such then a modern SV. When looking at indexing a bike it is not what you can do on a bike but what ANY rider/bike combo can do. So you do not index the TZ250 into lightweight SB because an Oliver or Sorenson would spank that class even tho the average club rider SV-TZ is about equal .
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

the_weggie_man

Casper, you are thinking of someone else here with the SV.  The bike Ed Key rode this year is a supersport.  He did ride Dave Doe's SV at Gingerman one weekend I believe and Daytona.  He won there on his bike and Dave's.

Dave's bike at one point made 103 hp on the dyno and it is fragile at the rate.  Ed now owns that bike and will run it next year but he says he may detune it a bit to keep it more reliable.

As for comparisons on bikes and lap times. Somewhere I have the WERA sheet for track records at Blackhawk from 1981 or '82. Ed Key held the C superbike record on a stock 1981 550 GPz at a 1:21 something.  In '83 as a novice I was turning mid twenties on a box stock(WERA C production class) 1977 KZ650 Kawasaki.  These are old twin shock bikes with bias ply tires and zip for suspension adjustments.  I ran the pee out of my 6 year old 650 with 50,000 miles on it racing against the then new RZ350's, 500 Interceptors and GPzs. No whining about my bike not being competitive and no begging for another class to run in.  I just rode the h_ll out of it and managed to run up front fairly often, sometimes even winning.

So, I guess all I have to say is, quit belly aching about the bike/class stuff and ride or upgrade.

Super Dave

Ah, but don't forget that little chicane that you made.  1991 or 1992?  I know it was there in 1992, but I keep forgetting if they repaved it all in 1991.

In 1994, I rode a 51HP 1976 Honda CB400F, twin shocks, spoked wheels, etc.  Did 1:23's.  It was like the second time I rode that bike, so it wasn't very developed.  

Here it is.  I'm wearing the leathers that I let Mike Riebe use this year.

http://groups.msn.com/VisionsportsRidingSchools/racingwithsuperdave.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=22
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

True about the chicane but how much does it really add to a lap?  Considering now you're driving through turn 4 rather than hauling the bike down on the brakes so hard there and I'd say getting a better run through turn 5.

I'd kind of think it evens things out so lap times are not that different.  What you lost thru the chicane you make up in 4 and 5.

Super Dave

Seems like it added a second or two.  Seems like Andy Fenwick rode the Bimota that I helped import to the lap record in 1991.  Seemed like that was a 1:11 something.  Bob Meister did the 1:13 something then  in 1993.  Too many years, too many faces.  I remember Michael Hunter doing pretty well in 1992 on his TZ.  

I think the run into five is about the same since the radius of the exit line from the apex to the far edge of the track in four is the same.  So, given a good rider, that should be similar.  

Without the chicane, I remember coming toward four in fourth gear.  Hammer the brakes and go down two gears.  Now, you've got to watch it going into the chicane, hammer the brakes and go down to second, turn, acclerate, turn and go, then brake again.  I know some bikes don't brake going into four, but I need to on my 600.
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

You're  probably right. It's been a while since I was out there.

I'm just glad the chicane serves it's intended purpose. It does exactly what the track owners wanted it to.

Super Dave

Well then, maybe we just need to get you out there again.  Hmmm, I know where that KZ650 is.... 8)
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Can't, I have a promise to my daughter to uphold from a few years back.  As a 7 year old she hit me with some logic that I couldn't argue with. After her big brother passed away she didn't want me going any where near a track again. Something about, "If something happens to you, what happens to me?"
Yeah, kind of hard to argue with that.  

Super Dave

Ok, no argument here, either.  We'd miss you, too.  And I do miss the boy... :'(

I remember this face from him... ;D
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Yes, that face looks familiar.