HELP...I need answers fast!!!

Started by Decreasing_Dave, March 10, 2003, 09:40:11 PM

Decreasing_Dave

I was looking at my R6 while it was sitting on the stands (spooled rear, triple-clamp front).  It appears that the front wheel is canted to the left.  In other words, it isn't sitting plumb.

I didn't crash at SoW, but I did go off the track (several times actually).  However, I did not do this in the last race and it felt fine during that last race (as a matter of fact, I got 2nd place).

Could the stands be causing this optical illusion (just though of that while I wrote this).  The forks seem to be straight but the wheel is canted.  Seems like it would be triple-clamps, but why??  Also, the forks appear to be at the same level in the triple-clamps.  Both are flush with the clip-on bosses.

Please help, I have a race this weekend and need to straighten this out (no pun intended) :o

Super Dave

Did you spin the wheel?  Is that it?  Maybe you need to run some strings from the front to the rear to check it out.
Super Dave

tzracer

It could be the stands, especially if the floor is not level.

Take some measurements. It is best to measure from the swingarm pivot rather than the rear wheel (unless you know that the swingarm is straight and the rear wheel is square with the swingarm).

Your off road antics could have caused the forks to twist in the triple clamps. Old trick to tightening the front end. Loosen bolts for upper triple clamp, fender. Remove front wheel. Axle should slide easily into place (without the front wheel). Adjust fork heights until axle slides freely. Install front wheel and axle, do not fully tighten. Remove fork caps and lower front end (you are using the maximum fork overlap to help line up the front end). Tighten the fender, and front axle. Lift bike and install the fork caps and tighten the upper triple clamp mounts (never remove/install fork caps with the upper triple clamp bolts tightened).
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

SliderPhoto

Brian, you lost me. I'm not sure what you mean by "fork caps"?

Litespeed

Dave, I think you are definately going to need a new bike.  I would definately suggest a super-motard since you like the dirt so much :).  For piece of mind though, try to use a large carpenters square on the floor to see if the tire really is canted.  My bike always seems to look strange when I try to measure it's geometry with no tools and my uncalibrated eye.  If you need a hang checking it out just get a hold of me at Firebird.

Jeff

likely it's just your eyes playing tricks.  However, the first place to start would be fork height on both sides.  Make sure you're even.

Also, make sure your axle goes in/out EASY.  You shouldn't need a sledge to get it in/out.  

Honda's are easy since they have a hole on one end which you can insert a screwdriver and then rotate the axle to check if it's bent or not.

If all else fails, talk to Matt Drucker :-) I'm taking the F4 over there this weekend to have it measured/aligned on the Kyle-Gordis!

Will post results (with pics assuming my new camera gets here in the 2 days it's supposed to take)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tzracer

QuoteBrian, you lost me. I'm not sure what you mean by "fork caps"?

The caps are the parts at the top of the fork. The part you need to unscrew to get access to the insides of the fork.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

QuoteIf all else fails, talk to Matt Drucker :-) I'm taking the F4 over there this weekend to have it measured/aligned on the Kyle-Gordis!

Um, I think that might be a haul for the man...

Keep us posted to what you get?  Come up with anything?
Super Dave

Decreasing_Dave

Well.....I did pretty much what everyone told me too.  This is a good place to thank everybody for their responses ;D.  This is what I found.

The right handlebar was bend down a little.  I replaced it.
The axel (sp?) (GnR) slid in and out with ease.  No indicator there.
I put a torpedo level  (for a straight-edge) on the upper triple-clamp and found that it dipped down on the right side.  This "dipping" is conducive with angle of the forks.  I can only assume that since the forks slide into the triple-clamps that both the top AND the bottom are bent.

This didn't happen at SoW.  I didn't crash.  As much as a manly man that I like to think I am (I'm a legend in my own mind), I didn't bend this stuff  just by riding it.  On OR off road.

If anyone has a triple-clamp set that is GUARANTEED straight for cheap (as dirt), I will be interested.

I guess I'll just leave it that way for the Firebird race.  Fortunately, the track is run in a clockwise direction. ;D ;D ;D

Super Dave

So, at the axle, it moves ok?  But up top it's bad?  

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I come from the poor side of racing.  I've raced on bent frames and components...and did pretty well.

I'm still trying to understand where it is so bent.  If the clamp is bent up or down a bit, you might be able to get away with it.  Sounds like you have already.  

Tell me more...
Super Dave

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteTell me more...

OK

I don't really understand why this would work if only one side of the TC was bent down.  Seems to me that the forks would come together at a point if this was true.  The forks run perpendicular to each other and are even on both sides of the wheel (I measured it).  It's just that the wheel, forks, axel, and TC all appear to be canted to one side.

I'm afraid that it might be a twisted steering neck in the frame.   OUCH...that even hurt to type.  The good thing is that you're right, do to shear ability (which I like to think) or to total ignorance (more of a probability) I have gotten away with it and did pretty well.

I'm going to buy an '03 R6 for next year.  None of this crashed shtuff either.  Brandy-new, off the showroom floor.  Yess-ssirreee Bob.  I'm already saving my food stamps. ;D

Super Dave

Is the steering head cracked?  It seems to happen alot on the R6's.  Look at the bottom of the steering head.
Super Dave

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteIs the steering head cracked?  It seems to happen alot on the R6's.  Look at the bottom of the steering head.

That will have to wait.  I'm still at work.  Allllll night zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jeff

Checking the forks is easy enough.  Simply pull and hold a straight edge to them.  Or loosen the clamps and rotate the forks in them.  If they're bent, they will bind.

Remember, bent stuff can be FIXED!

And as Dave mentions, as long as it's not causing huge adverse affects, race it!

I've got a flat spot in one of my rear wheels that made the AMA mechanics shudder, but the damned thing balances and holds air, so why not run it!
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

brookester

I see your problem, your forks are perpendicular. ;)
Actually, Dave, I stole your garage door opener the other night. You know it's really hard to do good sabotage with that little tiny light ya got in there!! ;D

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteI see your problem, your forks are perpendicular. ;)

LOL!!!

What a pendejo I am!!  Yeah...perpendicular would be a real problem.

You know I meant parallel (sp?) right??

TZDeSioux

QuoteLOL!!!

What a pendejo I am!!  Yeah...perpendicular would be a real problem.

You know I meant parallel (sp?) right??

lol.. pendejo is not the right word in this situation. I believe you should replace pendejo with maricon! bwhaahahahah  ;D

Protein Filled

Heeeh, I think that either pendejo, maricon, imbecil or estupido would work well  ;D
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Super Dave

Super Dave

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteHeeeh, I think that either pendejo, maricon, imbecil or estupido would work well  ;D

:'( Somehow it only seemed funny when I said it. :'( :'(

Pinche Cabrones ;D

StuartV666

QuoteThis didn't happen at SoW.  I didn't crash.  As much as a manly man that I like to think I am (I'm a legend in my own mind), I didn't bend this stuff  just by riding it.  On OR off road.

R6 triple clamps bend REALLY easily. Pretty much every time I've had mine checked by GMD Computrack, they've been bent, even when I hadn't crashed or even gone off the track. They say that just braking really hard can bend them. Definitely tying the bike down wrong can bend them.

- Stu

TZDeSioux

Quote:'( Somehow it only seemed funny when I said it. :'( :'(

Pinche Cabrones ;D

LOL  ;D ;D ;D