News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

"Backing" it in the corners ! ! !

Started by MJFRacing, January 05, 2003, 09:38:54 PM

Super Dave

What were you riding and what were your times?
Super Dave

fourandsix

QuoteWhat were you riding and what were your times?

They were probably over 2 minutes as his line is completely wrong!

Super Dave

It does sound like the "old" line.  

I hammered Nixon last March pretty bad in one over and over.  He e-mailed me wanting to know how to do one...  He's kind of a fun guy!
Super Dave

r6_philly

QuoteWhat were you riding and what were your times?

A R6 and it was over 2 minutes, probably 2:04 -06 range. I was suffering on the straights, so I wanted make up time in one... it seemed really work. Maybe it is "wrong" but it worked better than the other people's lines. Shouldn't the fastest line be the "right" line?

Super Dave

Well, those times will put you up with me on this older bike...

http://www.worldmotorcycles.com/Pages/daytona.html

So, you've got room.  Probably about 10 seconds or so.  Regardless, you should be shaving a good four off just by getting into the groove,

If what you were doing was working better than the guys around you, they were going your speed.  You should be able to carry much more speed into one, go right around them.  There is a neat window of opportunity there.

Your first time there?
Super Dave

r6_philly

it was my second time. Went down there last spring and had a good time. I never really figured out turn 1. Rode about 20 laps on Fri. In the rain, didn't pratice Sat morning, and just went out and raced.

How would a pro take turn 1?

I know I have a lot of room for improvement at Daytona, I wish I had more laps there. In Oct, I will take the extra practice day

Super Dave

Hard to explain quickly in detail this way.  Watch how the superbikes will go "wide" after start finish.  You've got to actually do it to feel how it should be.  It makes more sense that way.
Super Dave

r6_philly

QuoteHard to explain quickly in detail this way.  Watch how the superbikes will go "wide" after start finish.  You've got to actually do it to feel how it should be.  It makes more sense that way.

I will be sure to watch the races and see how they do it. and hopefully I can get some more time on the track in Oct so I can get better and hopefully win a race then. I love Daytona, it is a great sensational track.

btw those were really cool bikes, I plan on restoring a vintage race bike in the future and race it too... would love to be on the track following you and see you do the same lap time, I can surely learn a LOT of things

r6_philly

hey look at this cool pic, doesn't it look like I am "backing" it in  ;) wish I had held them off all race...

http://www.formulausapics.com/2003FL/Pack/images/pack_FL0203_447.jpg

Super Dave

Hard to say.  The wheels look lined up.  No black mark behind you.
Super Dave

tigerblade

Found this tonight:

Well, this column certainly has seen some high points and low points the past year. Probably more accurately stated, I would say some I'm less proud of than others. In fact, the aftermath of the last column left me spewing my guts on the side of the highway. Literally. And although not glamorous, it's a must-do every now and then, to remind me alcohol is a poison and is to be respected. Changing gears, misconceptions are often a poison as well, in no way glamorous or respected. So why does every American street rider/racer want to know how to "back it into a turn"? This isn't speedway. We're not driving 'World of Outlaw' cars. So what's the infatuation? Why is it so critical to learn a technique you cannot use on a road race bike? I guess it just looks really cool.

You see, a few years back, when people began asking me this question, I treated it as a serious question and have tried to give the best explanation I could. Yet it just gets asked more frequently. The other night the question was thrown in my lap once again. This time by a cute little stripper grinding on me in the topless club. Yeah, this has gone way too far. It's time to get technical and clear the air.

I'll start by saying you don't point a road racer with the rear end. When you have a bike that only steers a few degrees each way, the rear always follows the front. I'm sure there are a few photos around to prove me wrong, immediately followed by a frame of the rider doing his best imitation of a rock star's ultimate stage dive! To all, I don't recommend trying this. It's unpleasant to say the least. Remember, the ideal situation would be to ride a bike as if it were on rails for the entire lap. Each and every racer or race team alike strives for perfection, yet like infinity, the further forward you advance, the further away the finish is.

This being the case, the bike you are riding is, at very best, just one step above being a shitbox, never quiet doing what you want it to do, and other times far worse than that. This being said only in comparison to perfection, because my Kawi is really a kick ass bike to ride.

Competition drives you to reach further, so when I'm entering a corner trying to outbrake the competition, the rear is trying to pass the front any way it can; up, over, or sideways. You can bet I'm cursing out my bike for this, and to make matters worse, the engine braking wants to make the rear tire feel as though it is locked up completely. At some point, you put pressure on the inside bar to enter the corner. The front brake is still struggling to stop the bike, so physically, following the path of lease resistance; the rear end kicks out, even though the rear brake has been left entirely alone. This constitutes a large portion of my setup woes every weekend. A problem we are constantly trying to band-aid. A problem that always costs you time trying to enter a corner. A problem that is difficult to control and can easily catch you out when the neck hits the steering stops, high-siding you violently into the corner, as I did in the German WSB round. Yet everyone I run into believes that is a good problem to have. Ironic, since following steering and traction, it is always a top complaint.

I know this is going to completely defeat my point, but for those who want to learn how to "back it into a turn" because they didn't learn a thing from this column, try this: find a nice 90º corner for 2nd gear. Come in hard, say from 4th gear, brake late and hard, backshift twice while using a small amount of rear brake and release the clutch slowly till the rear begins to slide. With a little practice, you will do it longer and smoother until you reach the turn. Ease up till the rear comes back in line with the front. Be sure in not hitting the steering stop by going too sideways. Have your buddy take a photo. Damn, that does look cool!

Ciao ragazzi.

#32 EricBostrom.com  

©Copyright 2002 Lawdog Sports Management  
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Super Dave

Super Dave