Remote starter/rollers

Started by mq105, January 13, 2007, 03:48:42 PM

mq105

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with rollers or remote starters? By remote I mean a starter that is not attached to the bike. I'm thinking of something like Moto GP or Indy cars.
I know someone who has a 1970-something Rickman Honda that he wants to vintage race, but it doesn't have a starter. He doesn't want to push start and is looking for alternatives.
MQ 
FL  #283

snair

i bet you could make one with a lawn mower engine, a couple of rollers, and some 1inch square tube

Super Dave

I raced a CB400F for a guy.  Starter was removed. 

You can put a bolt on the end of the crank, then put an access hole through the cover, then slip a starter though with a piece to engage it.  You'll need a battery to engage that.  Pretty easy.

Someone in AHRMA makes a roller unit that has a battery and a starter than engages a set of rollers.  Used that on a CB450 that I raced for some nice folks.  You might be able to contact Terry there about it.
Super Dave

mq105

Thanks. I will check with AHRMA about this.
MQ 
FL  #283

RCR_531

here is what you are looking for
www.doczintl.com
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

Super Dave

Super Dave

mq105

That's it! Excellent. Thanks for the help.

MQ
MQ 
FL  #283

tstruyk

isnt there a guy in the MW that uses the rear tire of his truck on some kind of roller contraption to "bump" start his bikes?
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

Yeah, but you need a helper for that.  I just bump start bikes.
Super Dave

Sig

Is this really worth the hassle?

Scotty Ryan

I think it is either Brian Lacey or Gary Palmer that use that unit.... When I was running a Honda Hawk a couple years ago - my tuners made a Ducati style starter.... It was a 5HP engine mounted to a Chassis with wheels so you could move it around.... On the end of the crankshaft they put a go kart style clutch - and welded a go kart wheel and tire to the clutch..... It worked good - But like Dave said - it requires someone else to operate it....
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

cardzilla

I use the docz unit and it works great, and he's a real good guy.  The only drawback is having to transport the whole thing (I'm close to my weight limit already), but that is true of all roller starters and not exclusive to the doc z unit.

For 07 I am looking to design (like SD mentioned) a direct crank engage external starter.  Less weight ... and the girlfriend will be able to do it ;)
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike