DNF makes TB angry

Started by tigerblade, June 17, 2003, 01:22:17 PM

tigerblade

So I'm flying into T1 at Gateway in the HWSS race Sunday and the bike acts like it's bogging, loses revs, and dies.  Would not restart on the track.  It would crank, but not fire like it was out of gas (not the case).  As soon as I got it back to the pits, it fired up and ran normally.  It did this same thing in the same place Friday during the trackday.  I don't think it can be the bank angle sensor since it's mounted solidly and level, and I lean a lot more on other parts of the track without problem.  Engine temp shouldn't be a factor since it's run a lot hotter than it was that day.  The battery seems to be solidly connected.  I'm pulling the fuel pump tonight to make sure everything is connected well and nothing is pinched.  Any other ideas?   :-/
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

tcchin

If you're using a PowerCommander, make sure it's properly grounded to the main grounding lug on the frame, and not to the crossbar on the subframe.

tigerblade

Not running a PC yet (forgot to mention that in first post).  
Younger Oil Racing

tcchin

T1 follows a long straight, right? If so, you've just burned off a large fuel load at a high rate, and you could be losing fuel pressure faster than you can replentish it. This affliction would not manifest itself in the infield or the paddock, as your duty cycle and hence your fuel consumption rate would be lower. The fuel pump, filter and supply line are likely candidates. You may also want to inspect the fuel tank vents while the tank is off to ensure that your fuel pump isn't drawing a vacuum in the fuel tank.

It's been a while since I've read an RC51 service manual, but I think the troubleshooting section specifies procedures for both pressure and volume tests for the fuel system.

tigerblade

Thanks for the ideas Tim.   :)  T1 is at the end of the straight and both times this happened, it was in the same part of the track which seemed to be more than coincidence.  I just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't happen every lap.  The tank comes off tomorrow night...

Younger Oil Racing

Eric Kelcher

second vote for tank not being properly vented. If the fuel pump was not operating properly than you would have a problem while at high speed when a lot of fuel was being drawn so I would say pump is in good shape.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

motomadness

tigerblade

I sure hope that's it.  Thanks again fellas.   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

Dawn

QuoteI sure hope that's it.  Thanks again fellas.   ;)

I heard that you should buy an SV.  A guy that also owns a Ducati told me so.   :o ;) ;D

Dawn   ;D

lfg929

QuoteI heard that you should buy an SV.  I guy that also owns a Ducati told me so.   :o ;) ;D

Dawn   ;D

Eh, what the heck does he know? He bought a Ducati!  ;)

MightyDuc Racing

Yeah...what a moron....who's dumb enough to race a Duc? ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Dawn

QuoteYeah...what a moron....who's dumb enough to race a Duc? ;D

This guy that I am talking about doesn't race his Duc...  he races his SV!

Dawn   ;D

(and I'm not talking about Paul   ;))