ESU Transonders location

Started by gentree, January 29, 2006, 10:55:57 AM

gentree

I raced for the first time last year and what I thought was the standard location for the transponder was in the front. I just read the new R&Rs and they say that it should be located on the tail piece. Also, who sells them and for roughly how much? Thanks, Jim

Woofentino Pugrossi

CCS (at least teh midwest region) supplies them every weekend. As for mounting they should be on the tail.

Personally I wish they specify the TOP of the tail section. Kinda is a PITA when cornerworking and we get a call to see if the transponder is on such and such a bike when someone hides it under teh tail somewhere.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Eric Kelcher

It is required to be on top of the tail above the axle.

However there are exceptions and only a few at that. If the transmitter is not picked up due to problems being mounted on the top then an alt. location can be used IE underneath. The causes for it not being picked up are CF bodywork, CF exhaust canister(s) like found on the Ducati. and electronics mounted in the tail that hamper transmission(this is not very common but only thing we could figure on some bikes that had issues) If it is mounted undernreath then the proper mounting bracket should be used which is actually like a little camera bag.

The transmitter is directional and the antennea is mounted such that when mounted on top of the tail it is aimed down, moving it to another location or orientation will result in less effective range.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Thingy

So, am I going to run into trouble on my Ducati?  I have titanium cans, but CF undertray.  The undertray covers the complete bottom of the tail section.  If so, any recommendations on where to place the transponder?
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Woofentino Pugrossi

Bill I seen a guy with a duc have one on top of his tail. Dont remember who it was though. I assume he didnt have issues since he had it there a few weekends.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Super Dave

QuoteThe transmitter is directional and the antennea is mounted such that when mounted on top of the tail it is aimed down, moving it to another location or orientation will result in less effective range.

Really?  We're using the same one as before, right?  I had always mounted mine under the fender in plain sight, but I mounted the transmitter in the holder the same way as if it was on top...so it would be "pointing" up.  Was I just lucky that it worked?  

Or was it my magnetic/repulsive personality that caused it to work...   ;D ;D ;D
Super Dave

tzracer

I mount mine under the tail section. Being of normal height I have a tendancy to hit the transponder with my leg when getting on and off the bike. I have knocked them off off the bike when mounted on top.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteI mount mine under the tail section. Being of normal height I have a tendancy to hit the transponder with my leg when getting on and off the bike. I have knocked them off off the bike when mounted on top.

Well you might need a step stool then. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Thingy

QuoteBill I seen a guy with a duc have one on top of his tail. Dont remember who it was though. I assume he didnt have issues since he had it there a few weekends.
Thanks Rob, I have too.  But, my concern is with Eric's statement about CF interfering with the signal.  Mounting it on top of the tail would end up with CF being between the ground and the transponder. ???  My buddy that had it mounted to the tail of his Ducati did not have a CF undertray.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well Bill you could try it for a practice. If you get a signal then I suspect you'd be fine. If it does interfere, then I'd move it under or cut a hole in teh tray right under it.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Eric Kelcher

QuoteReally?  We're using the same one as before, right?  I had always mounted mine under the fender in plain sight, but I mounted the transmitter in the holder the same way as if it was on top...so it would be "pointing" up.  Was I just lucky that it worked?  

Or was it my magnetic/repulsive personality that caused it to work...   ;D ;D ;D

Well the problem only appears when it is a fast group of riders, which explains why you don't have an issue.  :P ;D

But really they were designed around our standard installion method to work optimally so moving them can cause issues. One of which is verying that ESU is mounted on bike, ie standard place to look. CF will not always keep them from working seems the Cf exhaust of the Duc 916/748 was more an issue than a single sheet of CF as we see a lot of CF bodywork appearing and that does not seem to cause a problem.

If you think you may have an issue just make a quick check at practice that you are being timed.  Transmitters are required at all times bikes are on track to verify that all systems are working correctly so that when race time comes you are scored correctly. Scoring moniters the strength of your transmitters and will call for a new transmitter to be installed or location moved when they detect a problem.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Thingy

-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

msbrit1

Bill if you have an issue with your transponder, I would be more than happy to ride it for you just to make sure that it is working correctly   ;D