Women's Class - Events and Rules

Started by truckstop, January 19, 2009, 11:24:48 PM

truckstop

Quote from: funsizeracing on January 20, 2009, 02:22:23 PM
I'm not sure about this yet.  
I don't see any real reason for it, there isn't anything stopping women from racing now.

This will probably be a common thought among women who already race, but I definitely think this will attract more women who were maybe hesitant to try - for whatever reason. (Because men are too aggressive? Too competitive? Too intimidating? Just prefer riding with other women? Spouse or S.O. wouldn't let them because of those reasons? I don't know.) I can tell you the reason I picked Ultralight was the cost of entry (cheap) and because the guys riding in it were all more experienced and more forgiving of having a moving chicane on the track. Not to say that they weren't intimidating or competitive (or that some women aren't intimidating), but I'm much more comfortable with Ed Key lapping me a couple times vs. a first year amateur in the "meatgrinder". There are a lot of women doing trackdays - some of them are very fast women. It would be cool to see them racing.... and once they realize it's no big deal and get addicted - hopefully they'll start entering the "co-ed" classes too.

Quote from: funsizeracing on January 20, 2009, 02:22:23 PM
Besides, look at all the men doing it.  How hard could it be? :biggrin:

Ditto this:  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

xb9racer

the only thing that seems weird to me is that class sizes have been shrinking  as of late.  the economy won't help. is adding classes a wise idea at this time?  I mean they turned ULWSB into a free for all by eliminating the EX/AM in that class.
I would assume this would be run at "larger" events?  I can't imagine that many Women at, say, Blackhawk  that they could even fill the grid.

G-reg

Makes sense to me to add it.. If its run at the same time as F-40 especially.  Never saw a woman in that class.

Senior superbike and SeƱorita superbike.  :biggrin:
--Greg
MW EX#84

truckstop

Quote from: xb9racer on January 20, 2009, 05:22:03 PM
I mean they turned ULWSB into a free for all by eliminating the EX/AM in that class.

With the inclusion of SV's in UWLSB - they've split it back up into AM and EX again since there should be more entries.

If it's run with F40/LW-F40 it wont really make much of an impact schedule-wise, and I think the hope is to get more people (women) on the grids.

Burt Munro

Quote from: Supergirl on January 20, 2009, 03:11:10 PM
  From what we heard on Saturday, women only class will be ran with F40.

Great......old farts and wimmen on the track at the same time. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!   :ass:

I keed, I keed!   (at this rate I may make 20,000 smites by April 1st!)   :thumb:

Jen and Becka you know I luv ya!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

ahastings

I think its great to get more women out there racing. And you girls can still race in the regular classes as well, so its nothing to be offended about. Its just like the F40 class, it allows older guys to have a class that they are competetive in. I dont see it as any different then any other sports where women have their own divisions.  Womens MX has grown greatly in the past few years to the point they have their own professional series now and I think that is in a large part due to most local tracks have women specific classes. Granted roadracing is not as physical as mx . I'm sure there will be a few women making the F40 men feel bad as they come by from the 2nd wave.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

123user

I think it just plain sexist to propose a women only RR class.  Its suggesting that women are incapable and afraid to race with anyone else.  We have all seen that gender is not the limiting factor on a racebike. 

And the argument that it'll draw more women into racing is crap.  There aren't that many women racing because not that many women want to race.

Now... if they insist on a women only class, at least make it different- I propose that they have to ride side-saddle...but seriously... any women-only class is not initially going have a grid large enough to justify running by itself.  That means that the female racers will still be in the "meat-grinder", they'll just be starting in a different wave.  And if the plan is to make the class run its own race, with no combined classes, regardless of grid size... well that's just totally unfair to the other racers that have to combine EX/AM, LWSS, ULSB, and 125 GP.

And the F40 is different, if I live long enough, I will someday be able to compete in F40. 

HAWK

Quote from: 123user on January 21, 2009, 10:32:28 AM

And the F40 is different, if I live long enough, I will someday be able to compete in F40. 

Of course it's different.  :lmao:
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Noidly1

I am offended by the F-40 class. It is Agist...  :wah:

:biggrin:
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

ahastings

Quote from: 123user on January 21, 2009, 10:32:28 AM
I think it just plain sexist to propose a women only RR class.  Its suggesting that women are incapable and afraid to race with anyone else.  We have all seen that gender is not the limiting factor on a racebike. 

And the argument that it'll draw more women into racing is crap.  There aren't that many women racing because not that many women want to race.

Now... if they insist on a women only class, at least make it different- I propose that they have to ride side-saddle...but seriously... any women-only class is not initially going have a grid large enough to justify running by itself.  That means that the female racers will still be in the "meat-grinder", they'll just be starting in a different wave.  And if the plan is to make the class run its own race, with no combined classes, regardless of grid size... well that's just totally unfair to the other racers that have to combine EX/AM, LWSS, ULSB, and 125 GP.

why is F40 different? If you dont think there is a difference between men and women competing in athletic sports you are naive. I'm all for women racing in the mens classes as well but I think it is good for women to have a class of their own as well. It has already been stated that they will run with F40 which is hardly the meatgrinder class.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

123user

F40 is different, 'cause I ain't ever gonna be a chick!    There is a difference between the sexes in many activities... amateur roadracing ain't one of them.  And when you've never raced before... every class is a "meat-grinder".  If you weren't scared sh@tless in your first real race, then your probably not quite sane.

However, I would actively promote a "Fat-Man Cup", though,  Minimum rider weight of 200lbs, maximum of 80HP.  It's totally unfair that I have to compete with 90lb girl!  Have you ever tried to tuck in a size 13 boot?

I hope this does help promote RR, but it probably won't.  It's just like when Smith and Wesson introduced revolvers with pink grips... does anybody really think that a woman is going to decide to buy a gun because its pink.

EX_#76

I do have a question for all of the ladies out there who have thought about racing and have not tried it yet.  What is the major factor holding you back from giving it a try?

I have asked this question to a few females that I know do track days.  Their response was similar.  They felt that the men were too aggressive and were intimidated by that factor.  I do not know if that is just a way of saying racing is intimidating or that men racing can be intimidating.  I am just wondering if this is really a perdominating feeling that female riders carry, or is my research just plain crap? Anyhow, this leads me to believe that having the ladies class run with the F-40 and LW F-40 my not bring too many new female competitors into the sport. 

I know for sure that Megan, Becka, and Jen are out there shaking it up, and in many cases showing the rest of us how it's done.    Maybe you gals could share some of the emotions that you went through convincing yourself to try racing. 

I know it was, and still is a decision I go through at every event.  I have reservations about the chance of getting hurt, or the money, or the huge time investment to prepare for an event.  Once I get out there and my reservations quickly disappear, I frequently think to myself,"What was I thinking?  this is waaay too much fun to pass up on".  Then the cycle repeats itself for the next event. 

Guy
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor