Buying bike w/ no title?

Started by bongoray, March 13, 2003, 05:18:41 PM

KBOlsen

Several years ago, John and his then-wife were campaigning their fuel bike at a dragstrip in Texas when there WAS a sweep... and more than a few unhappy people whose machines were hauled away.  
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Protein Filled

They have had a few paddoc sweeps down south. When I lived in Florida, bike theft was a real problem. I had 4 bikes stolen from me and they were locked down in very public places. One of the bikes was returned to me later in pieces when one of the local racers that I knew figured out it was mine (he had already started parting it out). I got it back under the condition that I would not complain to the cops.

They used to do random checks at Moroso and I remember reading about some of them happening in Texas. I think that paperwork definetly makes it a lot easier in the long run.

Up in the Midwest the theft problem is not so bad, so I would believe that is part of the reason they  have not had one here.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

chris_chops

QuoteWhat about race bikes with a custom frame and no vin #???
This may be of no great help because I am not sure of a manufacturer of aftermarket frames in the U.S.,  but try calling a company like harris in the U.K..  If that long disatnce call sounds too pricey, they have a distributor in the U.S. that advertises in RW.  These guys must be familiar with your inquiry.

Matt  

the_weggie_man

Ok, there are questions about custom frames and stuff.  Is this a custom built bike you are talking about or a production bike that should have a title?

Nate R

Can someone explain this to me? When they do a "sweep," do they just run the VINs? Or, do you have to produce some proof of ownership at the track?

Also, If that story in TX did happen, how can you be forced to show proof of ownership? The vehicle is not on the street, and thus how can the po-po take any action for not showing proof of ownership?  Jeez, I better start saving receipts for all my clothes and carrying them with me, as well as anything I own. Wouldn't want the cops to haul me away and impound my riding lawn mower because I can't show proof of ownership.  ::)
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Protein Filled

They usually run the numbers only and if something comes back hot, they take you and the bike.

The incident in Texas was notorious because they wanted people to have titles or registrations with them even if they were gp bikes. Some of the guys did not have the info with them so the bikes were impounded until they could produce something to show they owned the bike.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

r6_philly

QuoteCan someone explain this to me? When they do a "sweep," do they just run the VINs? Or, do you have to produce some proof of ownership at the track?

Also, If that story in TX did happen, how can you be forced to show proof of ownership? The vehicle is not on the street, and thus how can the po-po take any action for not showing proof of ownership?  Jeez, I better start saving receipts for all my clothes and carrying them with me, as well as anything I own. Wouldn't want the cops to haul me away and impound my riding lawn mower because I can't show proof of ownership.  ::)

Your bike is not on the street, but it carries suspicions of being "stolen property". So they could, with or without proper approval run your Vin # as a part of an "investigation or raid".

If you are wearing a $10,000 suit, you better have proof that you had bought it, or they could crack down you on too.

Litespeed

I would gladly welcome a police sweep.  It would most likely be easiest to just check for anything that appears to have an altered VIN because that typically indicates there is something drastically wrong.  I would never buy a bike without a minimum of a bill of sale and for street bikes I would want a title or MSO as well as unaltered VIN's.  Without either of those look elsewhere.

bweber

Here is what to do to protect yourself if you already own a bike without a title, but you have the proper paperwork (bill of sale) or proof of ownership.
Get a "Bonded Title".  I few years ago, I purchased a TL-R to race and the seller did not have the title.  I was fairly confident the guy legitimately owned the bike, but just never transferred the title into his name since it was purely a track bike.  I paid for the bike and asked for a bill of sale listing his name, address, make model and VIN# of the TL-R.
I contacted the state DOT and got an application for a bonded title.  I filled out the application and sent it in along with photos of the bike, the bill of sale and a tracing of the VIN# on the frame.  The state sent me back a bond form, which I took to my insurance company and paid $200 for a $14,000 bond (1-1/2 times the NADA value of the bike).  I sent the bond form back to the state.  Once they have the bond, the state ran a stolen vehicle check using the VIN#.
If the VIN comes back as a stolen vehicle, the insurance bond pays the lossee (either the insurance company that paid out a claim on the bike or the owner if they had no insurance) the value of the claim and the person who paid for the bond gets legal ownership of the stolen vehicle and the state will then issue a title.
My VIN came back clear, so the bond paid out nothing, and the state sent out an inspector to check the bike and VIN then gave me a clean title (no salvage or other such designation).  The bond lasts three years, so if at any time within 3 years the bike is reported stolen, my bond pays the lossee.
It was a bit of a hassle, but I got a clean title and ended up selling it as a streetbike a year later.
Hope this helps.  I live in Iowa, but I am sure every state has some similar service.