Anyone here race on michelins

Started by kylbie, February 13, 2007, 04:20:48 PM

kylbie

i have some questions i would like to ask about the tires, not anything about set up or which is better but just about the michelin power race

Sobottka

Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

kylbie

well i have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a large quantity of tires.  they are 120/70/17 fronts 180/55/17 rears and are the Med/med compounds.  Would these be good to race on or should i hold out and just get the prc/1 pr3/4 combination of things

i've been on the dunlops and really love them, but i can get basically 2 sets of power races for every set of dunlops

251am

PRC front and a PR5 rear is my preference. The Mediums are good but I prefer the C/5 combo for racing.

Sobottka

i guess that depends on how good of a deal and how fast you wanna go... i also prefer the pr5/prc combo or med-soft. i havnt had good luck with the pr4, and the med compound is not widely used especially up front. 
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

kylbie

i think i will just talk to the michelin rep and see what kind of deal he can get if i order a large quantity from him

Super Dave

Quote from: kylbie on February 13, 2007, 05:01:26 PM
well i have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a large quantity of tires.  they are 120/70/17 fronts 180/55/17 rears and are the Med/med compounds.

Med/med is not race distribution.  Med rear might not be bad, but it might be really, really hard.  Med front will be similar to the PR1/2, which hasn't left many people the happiest.  The PRC, which is only available thorugh race distribution, is a much, much better tire for feedback and rider comfort.
Super Dave

catman

NICE!,Dave-I am in the procees of having the 1200 1800 combo put on my sv700(w/ a new set of marvics ) and have searched a bunch of old slick threads- speedwerks is settin it all up,hoping to notice a bit of more traction and understand now what people talk about when they mention feedback- its like hey w'ere gonna hafta toss ya off soon,without notice ,but first w'ell let ya build up a LiL more speed- have a nice day!   :err:  Should I be on the PRC 's?  :ahhh:-If your words are understood, I wont need to change ride heights if i decide to try the PRC's after setting up for the mich slicks,correct? thanks and Good goin ! I instructed Steve @ speedwerks,Dover Delaware  that i wanted to maintain same geometry, i asked after wheels were off how he was going to get back to same geo,he said heights were measured first- Switching from supercoarsas to the michs - they did a great job last time ,cant wait to heat them up---john in nj