'05 ZX6r Geometry

Started by rotoboge, April 14, 2005, 07:04:28 AM

rotoboge

Can anybody out there give me some pointers
on the geometry setup for a '05 ZX6r? I have
heard from others that the rearend needs to be
shimmed as much as 15-20mm (dunlops). The triples are 2-4mm down...

I am riding the Michelin Power Race tyre though.
Thanks!

Super Dave

Easy way?

http://4and6.com

That's what I do.  My time is worth a lot to me.  
Super Dave

rotoboge

rotoboge

This last trackday I used the following setup;

10mm down on the triples
15mm up on the rear, using shims

Handled very well on the short track we rode, 1.5 miles, but may have been slightly too quick at turn-in. Will adjust triples up 2mm on the forks this weekend. ;)

rotoboge

Actually, went back to the Dunlop DOT's for the
final set-up; 10mm down on the triples, up 3mm
on the rear with extra shims (total rear shim 15mm).

The Dunlops helped the turn-in for me, as their profile is more in agreement with my riding style. In Las Vegas this weekend, I will mount the new Dunlop Sportmax GP. ;)

rotoboge

Thought I would update this thread since it has been awhile I posted. I am still riding the Dunlop 209's and have the triples at 10mm down from the top of the forks, while the rear has been shimmed an additional 10mm plus the stock shim 6mm, for a total rear shim of 16mm. For those that would like to know. ;)

Super Dave

Turn in initiation and feel can work in different ways.  Sometimes counter to what you think is the right way.

You look at bikes around the paddock and one can see different things.

Fork heights can appear to be consisten, or, within a certain range.

However, internal modifications of forks can actually cause the distance between the center of the front axle and the triple clamps to be different even though the top portion of the exposed tube is the same distance.

Add to that the fact that swingarm geometry and rear axle placement will alter the front too...
Super Dave

paiterred

Hi rotoboge,

I have just started racing in South Africa.  I'm running Michelin Power Race.  If you don't mind, what is your current setup and how are you finding it.

Thanks

Super Dave

Which Power Race are you using?  I do believe that what we have in the US is different what Europe has.  I don't know how the SA market works though.  

Last year, the fronts here were commonly known as PR1 & PR2, as per the markings on the side of the Michelin Power Race tires.
Super Dave

paiterred

Super Dave,

I'm not too sure to be honest.  I have a look at the tires but couldn't find any markings that looked like PR1 or PR2.  What I did see is that the front is a SOFT and the rear is a MEDIUM.

What else should I look for?

Thanks

Super Dave

What you have would be considered "production based" tires.  I believe that they share the same shape and diameter of the fronts like the PR1 & 2 and the rears like the RP3,4,5.  

I know that the European market has a Michelin tire called the C2T, or something, but I don't know if that is what you have.  

Do you have a racing tire distributor that you get the tires from?  Tell me more, I'll try to help.
Super Dave

Jeff

Now I know Dave is pimpin 4&6, which is good and all, but to just give you my $.02, setup is something that can't really be given over the internet.  There are far too many variables.

A good tuner will take the bike, tires, suspension and YOU into consideration in the setup...  Being as how nobody on here knows all of these variables for your situation, you're going to get a lot of different answers which in all likelihood will be worthless to you.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest