News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Daytona gearing

Started by Jason248, December 20, 2017, 07:20:10 PM

Jason248

Trying to figure out what gearing to run at Daytona on a 07 gsxr 750 stock motor
thanks Jason

ymracing

So hard to say. Your size, your fairing, your comfort level, what the bike will tolerate in the infield. Front sprocket easiest, but largest bump. Every time I raced there I thought I would have been happier with different gearing!
Garry W. Bird
YMRacing, Champaign, IL USA
AHRMA BOT F2, CCS  AM Lightweight F40; Lightweight Grand Prix #72
Lightweight....ya sure...

badmoon692008

Like YMracing said it depends on a lot of factors. I went there in October on my 09 750, I weigh 285 pounds and am on a bone stock bike (with a likely tired engine) I was told that the suggested gearing to run is 16/42 to start, if I was fast go to 16/41, and if I was stupid fast and light go 16/40. I didn't have any rear sprockets that small so I just took those ratios and played around with them. Ordered an 18 tooth front sprocket since they're cheaper than a rear and then I could just run the rears I already had, but an 18 tooth front sprocket won't fit, it hits one of the mounting points for the sprocket cover. Ended up finding a used 43 and 42 tooth rear sprocket, and ran 17/43 all weekend. That was likely overgeared for my pace, as I was only ever pulling the top of 5th, but being my first time there I still ran 2:03's by my first race, and finished 8th out of 16 in the heavyweight SS.

apriliaman

On my lightweight class bikes I use most of the time a 1 tooth bigger in the front then on normal tracks and the same rear.On a 750 is much faster,you got to have a gearing so if your drafting you can gain a few mph and not over rev the engine.If it's too short you'll be in the rev limiter.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006