Carbon wheels

Started by lmayhew, December 11, 2017, 09:49:04 AM

lmayhew

I am wondering if carbon wheels make a difference. There are a lot of brands and youtube videos, but no data on how carbon rims impact lap times compared to OEM rims. If they are worth it (amateur racer), the next question is what brand(s) should I be looking at.
2012 GSX-R750 race bike
Thanks.

Eric Kelcher

Significant difference.
And there's the rub, the difference will require different suspension settings from stock wheels. For amateur level racer and class limiting modification I
wouldn't do it.
Get extra stock wheels for back up tires/rains etc and improve riding on good suspension settings.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

lmayhew

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.
I have GP Suspension front and Penski 8970 rear set up by Trackside Engineering in Darien, Wis.
I also have back-up rims. What do think?

Eric Kelcher

Glad to hear you are already working with a suspension shop. I would speak with them as they are going to the most knowledgeable about your situation and what changes will be required if you want to go the aftermarket wheel route. Ie can you change existing settings/new shim stacks to swap between stock/AF or will you need a back up set of AF wheels.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

vsquires

A number of years ago I had a set of dymag carbon fiber wheels on a RC 51. The wheels took off a considerable amount of weight, but I can't say made me any faster, I could swap the rear with the stocker and could tell no difference. The front was another story. Finally went faster when I moved to a gsxr 750

PlayHard

Huge Difference, I ran Dymag wheels.  Had to change front and rear springs (lighter) and a host of other setup changes to get the bike to feel right again.  Once setup for them though, I loved them.  Wouldn't say they changed my lap times a whole lot, but sure did make the bike "feel" a whole lot lighter.  The bike would flip side to side with very little effort, both braking and acceleration was also noticeably different.   With that said, I bought the set used, not sure I would spend the money on a new set.......
CCS / WERA EX #95

HerbigCBR

IMO, if you are an amateur racer, there are far better things to focus your money on that carbon fiber wheels. When you get to be as fast as the fastest experts, then I would maybe think about it.
Jared Herbig - CCS #323
Thanks to: Spears Racing - TSE