Noob (not really) questions

Started by rzracer, November 15, 2017, 06:37:38 PM

rzracer

Used to race ccs back in the 90's but have been doing mostly WERA and AHRMA vintage stuff for the past 20 years. Running both has had me driving all over Gods creation chasing points and I couldn't help but notice that CCSs schedule goes to a lot of tracks that are very close to me. (VIR, CMP, Summit) So I'm thinking of dropping or at least not chasing points in one or both of the other orgs and giving CCS a try next year. A few questions:I have 2 bikes, a '76 rd400 and an '84 rz350. I've read the class rules several times and it looks like basically anything that the rd is legal for, the rz is too, so I guess I will only have to drag one bike, right? (Chime in if I'm missing some special aircooled rule that would allow the rd to compete in a lesser class that the rz can't run in) Both bikes are pretty heavily modified and won't meet SS or Thunderbike restrictions on exhaust , chassis stuff and air box. Speaking of classes, it looks to me like 500sb, ULsb, LW Vintage and Lw formula 40 are my most competitive choices.  Am I missing anything? Are the licenses 12 months from purchase date or 1/1/18-1/1/19? (I saw that there is a Daytona race next month...might be a fun event, but don't want to purchase a license that will expire in a few weeks!) I turned expert w WERA in 1996 and have raced every year since starting in '95. I'm not going to have to play with the novices, am I?When does the '18 schedule come out?😵Thanks in advance!Mark

britx303

Licenses are from Jan 1st-Dec 31st,but are cheaper as the year progresses. Youve pretty much got the classes nailed where you would run.......although if you drop your rd400 to a 350,it can run in 300 thunderbike and also gt300......a 25 minute timed race similar to when we do the Solo 20s with WERA. And yes.....the CCS schedule makes it easier to do a full-ish season without running all over the country to get regional points.

rzracer

Yeah, I saw that 350 aircooled spec! I do have a pretty well ported set of 350 cylinders kicking around.... pretty happy with the 400 as is. It's very fast and very reliable. Not really any reason to bring it to a ccs race though. Anything it does, the rz does better and there are t any differences in the classes here both eligible for.

So if I wanted to go to Daytona in a couple weeks I would have to get a '17 license and then get an '18 license a few weeks later? Any idea how much the price drops off? Last time I raced at Daytona was in '99 I think. Would be cool to go back!

britx303

Daytona was last month. I thought a Miami round was coming up though,but not Daytona. Maybe they will let you pay a weekend pass using your WERA/AHRMA license.

britx303

2nd page of the license application says its $60 if you get it for that weekend,but you will have to renew after Dec 31st. But for what its worth, CCS will be at Daytona for the 200 in March and you get all the practice days with just one race entry that weekend........cant beat that for track time!

rzracer

Yeah, I think I saw Florida and just assumed. Homesteads a hike, but my sister lives near there. Probably just wait for DIS in the spring...

Really more excited to have 2 vir (75 mins from my house) and to get back to summit! (Wera stopped going there a few years ago.) Cmp isn't too far either.

britx303

It'll be nice to get some more on the vintage class grids for sure. Hope you make it to the Summit rounds......plus having some 2Ts out there is always cool. Ive got a rd350 thats been on a backburner since WERA crapped out on our region.....might have to get that going again.