Email sent out about "foul language"

Started by nevenelestate, September 20, 2017, 01:53:25 PM

nevenelestate

Got the email yesterday from CCS about an email they had received from a spectator at VIR that was "dissapointed" by some of the riders dropping "the F-bomb" during podium ceremoneis. As a racer, and in general, I always try to be aware of who is around and what I am saying, however...we are all adults and have the freedom to choose what words we use. I find it border line offensive that the person that wrote the email didn't have the balls to just say something to the racers that were using language that they found offensive. Instead of just asking them to watch what they were saying, and I'm sure that the vast majority of my fellow CCS racers would have immediately said sorry and cleaned up their language, this person decided to go home and write an email and ask for rules to be written about a "Code of conduct."

If you don't want to hear bad language, stay away from race tracks. If you decide that you are going to attend an event and someone says something you don't like, be an adult and ask them politely to stop it. At that point if they become aggressive then that is a different issue and should be handled.

QuoteWe received an email regarding the races this weekend that brings to the forefront that we do have a presence with race fans that needs to be respected.

Hello Kevin,

I have attended the CCS races at VIR the last two years and your program provides a great show! I look forward to catching more CCS racing at VIR and other venues in the future! I'd like to make one suggestion for your consideration.

After Sunday's VIR endurance race, I attended the podium trophy presentations and was a little surprised and very disappointed at the foul language being used by the riders in front of an audience that included youngsters who's ages ranged from toddler to pre-teen. The riders were clearly enjoying all that racing is about and were amped with adrenaline from the race. The comradery and friendly competitive spirit among the riders was evident in the bantering that was taking place; all good.

However, the F-bomb was being dropped repeatedly and loudly in front of the spectators, even over the microphone. Frankly, I found that it was uncomfortable and took away from the moment; especially with the very young kids there in the crowd. Such language sends the wrong message to these young folks who look up to the competitors.
I have never heard this kind of language being used during podium proceedings at the races during Bike Week at Daytona, Laguna Seca and Mid-Ohio. I'm sure that has much to do with factory sponsors who would frown upon their name and products being associated with such behavior. It can also reflect poorly on the organizations, be it Moto America or Champion Cup Series who bring the racing to us enthusiasts. I'm sure CCS racers' sponsors would not appreciate it, either. Don't misunderstand me; I know many of us (myself included) use colorful language to express ourselves from time to time and I'm not concerned about what goes on in the pit areas and paddocks (unless the public has been invited to be in those areas).

So, in terms of what good sportsmanship is or should be about, maybe the CCS could address this with riders in terms of a code of conduct. Thanks for listening and for promoting American motorcycle road racing. I look forward to attending more CCS races!

A concerned and devoted ASRA/CCS race fan

Please remember that while at the race track you are among friends, you are also with your friends' families and the fans of the sport, please act and speak appropriately for the environment you are in.

barb_arah

I was going to start a thread about this, but you beat me to it.  You raised some very good points.  After reading your post, I agree with you.  If the person found the language offensive, the best way to have handled it would've been to kindly address the issue immediately with the offending party.  Offensive language will be heard anywhere and at any time.  How we handle the situation is what matters.  This is important in showing youngsters how to handle tough situations.  But at the same time, perhaps the people who were offended were uncomfortable approaching them.  That can be very intimidating, since you sometimes aren't really sure of the outcome.  All we can hope for is for everyone to be mindful of those around them and to conduct yourself accordingly.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

Zaph

The kind of person who writes an angry letter like that is the kind of passive aggressive personality who doesn't have enough courage to say something to someone's face.  Seriously, someone spent 3 hours getting all the verbiage just right in that complaint letter.  What a dreadful waste of time.

If I were there and my young daughter was present, I'd just walk up and say "Dude, careful, there's kids around.  But congratulations on a great race". Making a point but ending on a high note.  It took 5 seconds and probably ended with a "Oh sorry, thanks!"  Then I would look at my daughter and say "You know that's not acceptable language, right"  "Yeah I know dad."

Woofentino Pugrossi

How was that an angry letter Zaph? Was there concern in it? Yes, anger no.

Could it had been handled at the track? Yes, but as Barb said, the person may had not been to keen to go up to the person. Then again I've dealt with people who you ask, politely on top of it, not to do something and they get all "I'll do what I want, where I want" attitude. Back driving the crash truck I informed a father that his 5 yr old cant be riding the 50cc dirtbike (he was in full gear) per track rules. Guy went apeshit screaming about its supposed to be a family place and how hes being treated like crap and paid good money to get in and he can do as he wished.

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Eric Kelcher

The offensive language was broadcast over paddock speakers and radio.

This what not someone within earshot of a private conversation.

Regardless a level of decorum appropriate for an environment of family friends kids sponsors is expected.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

badmoon692008

I can't believe how many people are reacting to this negatively... It's pretty simple... know your audience, and try to represent yourself and CCS respectfully. It's not about "freedom" or being "adults" You guys are reacting like 12 year olds who don't like what their mom told them to do.

Don't swear in front of kids, or on the microphone or when in front of a group of people... Not sure whats so hard about that. I'm disappointed to be associated with some of you guys, especially some of those on the Facebook post.

britx303

I agree with the notification. It does get ridiculous many times with how racers talk to each other even when little kids are around. Back in your pit and amongst ourselves,the smack-talking is part of the fun and comeraderie,but when we get within earshot of spectators or family/others family,too many guys need to start showing some decency and common sense.