Kawasaki did it again - messing up ultralight classes

Started by Zaph, July 13, 2017, 06:44:55 PM

vance

If the 300 is discontinued:
Since all of the cool parts are a direct swap between the 250 and 300, I could see leaving the 300 classes as is for several years at least, due to parts availability.
Put the R3, 390, the new 400 and the Honda 500 in the 500SS and SB classes.
The only issue I see with this is the 300's have two designated classes and can race up in two classes somewhat competitively.
The R3, 390 and 400 would have two classes they're fairly competitive in but will get trounced if they race up a class into lightweights.

Again we are back to the argument of catering to bikes that are no longer made, but it would make sense to cater to your paying established customers rather than hoping they'll all go buy the new 400.

apriliaman

In the MidAtlantic region sometimes there can be up to 20 bikes in the 300 and 500 races now races even in moto3.In the MidWest there is alot also.You can look up the results from NJMP.From what I see racing my FZR400 yes I do have a top end power advantage,but my bike is 50-80 pounds heaver and slower in the turns then the fastest 300's.I used to win alot of races but not anymore as now the 300's have figured out what they need to go faster and there 1-2 seconds a lap faster now.https://www.youtube.com/user/Hoeckel13  check out some races of the leaders
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

LWT Racer

unfairly dominate?
It won't come close to beating some of the bikes that are legal for 500 classes. (equal riders)
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

vance

Quote from: LWT Racer on July 30, 2017, 05:29:28 PM
unfairly dominate?
It won't come close to beating some of the bikes that are legal for 500 classes. (equal riders)
My guess is there will be very little development beyond the EX500. It likely won't beat it's 30 year old preseason.

vance

Auto correct  :wtf:
Won't beat its 30 year old predecessor.

apriliaman

I got an EX500 for a street bike.It only has around 10 hp more then most 300's on the track but it has good torque.Top speed isn't much faster around 5 mph.It is heaver so it would take alot of work for it to be a good track bike.I've raced against them before along time ago but they had SBK engines.Even at that they were even on the straight as my FZR.I'm sure a NEW Kaw 400 engine would be at 50 hp and light weight will be an even better bike.Only thing it will be good for 2 races like my bike and in other races with the SV's its not going to be that good.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

bruce71198

Looking at the info available at this point I'll give you my unsolicited review of what this bike will be.
It's going to be built on the Ninja650 platform, an undesirable race bike in its current state, strike 1.
The engine appears to be built from the 650 as well meaning it will be overweight and bulky for it's displacement.
What it will be is a smaller displacement commuter bike that will be better suited for the road than the 300.
For the track it will be underpowered, ill handling and overweight, kind of Kawasaki's version of the Honda's CBR500 whatever thing.

Zaph

If it is built off the Ninja 650, I agree it's going to be a fat turd.  But I don't think it is.  I don't see a side mounted shock in those spy shots.

britx303

There has already been that 400cc version of the 650 in other markets around the world,likely for the tiered licensing system so many countries have. I would highly doubt Kaw's best selling little ninja would be dumbed down that much for us here. They arent Honduh ya know........ :biggrin: