CCS F40 (Amateur) Lightweight versus AHRMA Bott/Sot2 - comparison

Started by pswann, August 27, 2016, 06:22:21 PM

pswann

Twins racers and others,

I've got a question about the level of speeds/competition in CCS F40 Amateur Lightweight versus Ahrma Sot2/Bott.  I'm asking as a rookie wondering which is more appropriate.
Sot2/Bott is Pat Mooney 200hp Buell, Nate Kern (RNineT++), Christopher Boy "prototype (Ducati)", two other very fast Ducatis, and the rest mostly fast Ducatis.  For the top 6, straight speeds (and rear wheel horsepower) are around 170, these expert riders brake very hard and late, and except for Kern  (if you're fast and consistent, no line surprises those behind), mostly early entry tight lines.  My bike has 145 straight speed, ~115 rear wheel hp, its quicker line sometimes wider later entries with deliberate turn ins.
In watching/racing CSS F40 Lightweight (which I haven't done except video), and familliar with AHRMA Bott, could you compare speed/skill/aggression of the CCS class to Boy,Kern,Mooney?  I'm not talking about which organization has more competitive racing, I'm wondering whether F40 Amateur Lightweight might be a better class for me.

Thanks.

ymracing

I have been on the track with Mr. Mooney...he's damned good, and fast. No comparison with us in the CCS F-40 lightweight amateur.
Garry W. Bird
YMRacing, Champaign, IL USA
AHRMA BOT F2, CCS  AM Lightweight F40; Lightweight Grand Prix #72
Lightweight....ya sure...

Gino230

Having raced both this season, I will say that SOT2 is harder / more competitive. LWF40 does allow the 749 which can be a very fast bike and depending on the track and rider, very hard to beat. SOT 2 is limited to 848CC liquid cooled, so the 1199's and Mooney's big Buell are not allowed. That is SOT1 or Formula Thunder.

Also BOT is only air cooled, so you still have a few big bore Ducatis to deal with.

One thing I will say about AHRMA, once the front runners disappear you will have the track to yourself, depending on what region CCS you are running and what classes are run together, you may (or may not) have a more crowded track with CCS.

Having raced extensively with both organizations, they are both top notch and you won't be disappointed in either. Hope this helps.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

apriliaman

I the CCS Mid Atlantic area LW F40 is mostly SV 650's and 2 or 3 air cooled Ducati's As far as AM it is all SV 650's and there are not that many this year.In other classes the top AM SV riders are very fast,only 2-3 seconds slower then the fastest EX LW riders.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

pswann

LWT Racer

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Quote from: LWT Racer on September 06, 2016, 10:09:53 PM
With the SVs, CCS is faster than Ahrma by a few seconds.

If that is true then you should come race AHRMA.

John Linder

ymracing

Quote from: LWT Racer on September 06, 2016, 10:09:53 PM
With the SVs, CCS is faster than Ahrma by a few seconds.

Might be an age related thing...Not disparaging as I am old...I raced with AHRMA for 20 years.
Garry W. Bird
YMRacing, Champaign, IL USA
AHRMA BOT F2, CCS  AM Lightweight F40; Lightweight Grand Prix #72
Lightweight....ya sure...

LWT Racer

Quote from: 713 on September 14, 2016, 12:50:51 PM
If that is true then you should come race AHRMA.

John Linder

Too expensive.

Going by the races at NJMP, you can win with a 1:33-34 in ahrma, CCS need 29-30s.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.