News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ducati 748

Started by rowe748, October 09, 2015, 06:05:13 AM

rowe748

Hey,

Are there any classes that a 748 would still be competitive in?  I have one and have been considering turning it into a race bike, but I'm just curious if it is even worth the time.

Thanks

trace33chargers

They are pretty heavy and underpowered. I think middleweights, Thunderbike, and Supertwins. In any of those classes, there are plenty of better bikes out there. If this is for an amateur, just run the bike and have fun. Get seat time in races.

Personally, I'd stay away from the 748 just due to the notorious rocker problems. I think on the track, they would be more prone to go and possibly grenade a fairly pricey engine. Thats why I just stick with my SV.

Capitalview

Depending on your age, you can run it in Lightweight Formula 40, and Thunderbike, somewhat competitively in the amateur class.  Neuroduc on here runs one.  Although he is a big old sandbagger and doesn't push his!

If you know your rockers are good I wouldn't worry about it too much though.  Run it and have fun for your first year.  Although, depending on how much money you need to put into the Duc, you may be better off buying a used SV650.

spoot

I had a dickens of a time getting past a 748 in my 1st AM Supertwins race at BFR. Last month.

It seems it could pull me in the straights. I out-broke him in most places.
Ride it like you stole it - you might do great!
:)
CCS MW Am #518
WiRiders.com

Gino230

unless you're in the top 20% of riders in your area, just run what makes you happy. For me that means Ducatis.

The 748 is a good track bike. If you're in any other region other than Florida, you're mostly racing SV's anyway, and 748 would be a good matchup, IMO.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

tevbax

Quote from: spoot on October 10, 2015, 12:14:36 PM
I had a dickens of a time getting past a 748 in my 1st AM Supertwins race at BFR. Last month.

It seems it could pull me in the straights. I out-broke him in most places.
Ride it like you stole it - you might do great!
:)

Yep - Thats me.  SuperTwins is tough...much larger twins. Thunderbike is competitive.  Need spare parts, let me know. I have a ton.

Mike
CCS AM 217