News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Training and Drills for improvement

Started by Gino230, September 23, 2014, 10:27:08 PM

Gino230

As always, I'm trying to get faster and become a better racer. I already train physically plenty, I'm not off enough to do much more serious riding (dirt biking, mini racing), and I'm planning an advanced school / coaching next year. But in the mean time.....

In the LW classes I can run up front and occasionally win an expert race, but in the DEEP expert classes (MW superbike, for example) I have to have a very good day to finish in the top 1/3. Some tracks I'm right there (Daytona, Homestead) others I struggle at (Roebling, Jennings). I invested in a few weekends of coaching this year, with mixed results. I learned alot, but it didn't really reflect it in the lap times. I did win a few races this year but still there is alot of meat left on the bone. I could certainly benefit from a school, and that's on the agenda, too. Been racing 15 years but virtually no motorcycle experience except for that.

I have come to the conclusion that the biggest barrier I'm facing is my vision. Not the kind glasses will fix. Like looking in the wrong places kind of vision. I have always looked down when walking, climbing stairs, etc. Most of the men in my family do. It's just a shitty habit. I even look 10 feet in front of the car when driving. It's amazing I've managed to go as fast as I have.

So I have been forcing myself to keep my head high and my eyes up. I'm driving different, walking different, just consciously forcing my eyes and head up. It's a tough habit to break, especially since I spend alot of time at work staring at an instrument panel 2 feet in front of my face. (I DO look up for landing of course).

I've also started riding the mini bike a few hours a week. I live in an urban area, virtually no minibike tracks and one dirt bike track 70 miles away. I have a KLX 110 set up to minimoto, so I have been doing figure 8's in the field next door (grass maybe 75x100) and doing a little figure 8 circuit around the driveway, where the "apexes" are the corner of the lawn and sidewalk. One of my problems has always been looking too long at the apex, so this little drill helps me to move my eyes quicker, and keep my head up. Riding in the field helps me to keep my eyes way up at the exit while getting the throttle open. slicks on grass means even a 110 can spin it a little

I'm not sure how much this stuff will help, riding a little bike 10mph around the driveway seems like a silly way to improve, but it is helping me to keep my eyes up and develop some confidence in the bike. I do feel more comfortable....on the 110 at least. And as my wife points out, "it HAS to help more than sitting on the couch!" I'll let you know what happens at PBIR next weekend.

Here's a little video of today's driveway "practice". Field was standing water today so no grass practice. Don't watch if you've had a few, it might make you dizzy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQGXWh9ySDA&feature=youtu.be
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Capitalview

Widen your vision.  I have found I have tunnel vision, hence needing to actually look down at the apex, instead of just seeing the apex out of the corner of my eyes.

I am working on exactly the same thing as you are.  I have a little sign on my dash saying "EYES UP"

Gino230

Well I didn't set the world on fire at PBIR using my newly acquired minibike skills. I was however, MUCH faster from my pit to the bathroom, and from the bathroom to the food truck using said skills.

I do think riding more helps, no matter what kind of riding it is. I think the idea of keeping the eyes up in your daily life helps when on track, you can constantly remind yourself "LOOK UP!". Concentration helps too.

I started riding in MW this weekend and that was a big change. I am working on changing my whole riding style, these guys brake WAY later than we do on the LW bikes. One reason is they have to bang down an extra gear or sometimes two, so they can be in the revs for the exit. This gives alot of engine braking, and continues to slow the bike to the apex. I have been riding big displacement air cooled twins since I started and no matter how good the slipper clutch, this is harder to do without locking up the rear tire. Those big pistons have alot of momentum I guess. Also the big twin is much more forgiving in that you can enter the corner at 5500 RPM, be at 4000 at the apex, and it will dig right out no problem.

I got half of the equation right this weekend, with the extra downshift. Now I just have to re-acclimate my brain, all kinds of alarms are going off in the braking zones, yet I still arrive to the apex SLOW.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

LWT Racer

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

britx303

Quote from: Swiest on September 29, 2014, 11:11:28 AM
Buy a SV. It'll solve your problems. :)
I hear this ALOT about SV's. I admit im tempted to run one next year,much to the chagrin of my FZR buddies. Are SV's just much easier to ride?

LWT Racer

Gino is bringing a gun to a gun fight, he needs to bring a knife to gun fight so he has to fight harder. Then get back on the gun.

Sv is very forgiving when you make mistakes. But regardless of the bike, still need to practice good vision.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

ducatista01

I would say that gnarly fast MTB trails has helped my eyes keep moving.  I have a friend that is pro MTB racer and trying to keep up with him has been good vision training and overall two-wheel bike control technique. 

Kordyte

I really want to find a place to ride dirt bikes nearby too, I think that would really help.

I found one thing that riding street bikes can help - body position.

It's not a conventional technique but I think it's been beneficial riding to my riding - just ride in a million awkward positions while commuting to work. Standing up. cocked to the side, twisted around, etc. It's not practicing my racing body position per se, but it makes me more confident using the throttle, brakes, and shifter while my body is out of the 'comfort zone' on the bike.

After doing this for a year or so while commuting, I'm more comfortable getting on the gas hard while my head is dropped to the inside more dramatically than ever.
Peter
Expert #847

Gino230

Quote from: Swiest on September 29, 2014, 04:55:01 PM
Gino is bringing a gun to a gun fight, he needs to bring a knife to gun fight so he has to fight harder. Then get back on the gun.

Actually I went the other way, I'm not riding LW for the foreseeable future. I'm riding the 848 in MW. I've already learned alot, these guys ride the bikes very differently so it's helped my understanding of engine braking and corner entries alot better.

Sv is very forgiving when you make mistakes. But regardless of the bike, still need to practice good vision.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23

Gino230

Quote from: ducatista01 on October 01, 2014, 05:18:27 PM
I would say that gnarly fast MTB trails has helped my eyes keep moving.  I have a friend that is pro MTB racer and trying to keep up with him has been good vision training and overall two-wheel bike control technique. 

This is true too. I went mountain biking out in Vegas and you have to pick your line, then keep your eyes ahead to keep the momentum up. It definitely helps.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23

Gino230

Quote from: Swiest on September 29, 2014, 04:55:01 PM

I guess you know this from all the times we've raced each other?

This is simply untrue. I rode an undepowered SS prepped bike for many years and did quite well on it against the Bimotas and big bore ducs. I just got tired of getting motored to the line after I passed a guy 3 times in one lap.

Anyway the LW bike is parked for the time being, I have enough work to do in MW.  :cheers:

CCS / ASRA EX # 23

Grasshopper

This is what I do to stay sharp.

Practice on the basics. Look where you want to go, Take care of braking / slowing down while leaned over and turning. Don't get back in the gas on full wick until back on top of the tire. This disciplines yourself not to destroy expensive road race tires as fast. If you wack the throttle open too much while leaned over you are killing your tires. Body position is different because you are sliding so much but similar. Instead of moving to the inside of the bike towards the direction you are turning you are sitting on the outside of the seat and leveraging the bike in the direction you want to go. The little bike is a good training tool to get seat time.

I will switch around and go the opposite direction as well.

Nicholas