News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

DOT tire rule hurting LWSS grids?

Started by MACOP1104, August 17, 2014, 10:13:18 AM

MACOP1104

Anyone notice how the LWSS grids are shrinking?  A lot of riders don't have the budget or are just not willing to buy a set of DOTs just for one class.   Also, Michelin and Bridgestone no longer make a 160 DOT race tire so those riders wont race LWSS.  CCS, please get rid of the DOT tire rule for LW bikes. Also, let SV racers use 5.5" rims for a better tire selection. 
$900 slipper clutches and $1200 carbon fiber gas tanks are ok, but you can't use a $150 GSXR rim.   STUPID!

apriliaman

That would be good but with the use of an oem wheel,not an aftermarket.SS grids are good in Atlantic and Mid Atlantic just not other regions.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

bruce71198

Everybody built their SV's to compete with the air cooled Ducatis so they aren't super sport legal any more. It's all the Ducatis fault. No wait it's the 565....

MACOP1104

Quote from: apriliaman on August 18, 2014, 07:39:26 AM
That would be good but with the use of an oem wheel,not an aftermarket.SS grids are good in Atlantic and Mid Atlantic just not other regions.

I don't mind the 4.5 stock wheel since my tire brand of choice has a good DOT tire that will fit.  Michelin and Bridgestone do not make a 160 DOT race tire. 

HerbigCBR

I have ran that class for the last 6 years and have watched the already small grids disappear to nothing. I would be ok with allowing slicks and/or a 5.5" rear rim in LWSS. I dont feel it would be that much of a performance advantage if it was really a SS legal bike. (FZ07 and some ducatis already have  that as OEM right?) I think it would help grid size some, but IMO many of the bikes that already run slicks or a 180 rear are not SS legal bikes when you look at engine mods, fork swaps, or brakes.

How do think CCS would feel for allowing slicks in one supersport class and not the others (like MWSS and HWSS)? I don't know if that would factor in to companies who offer contingency payout based on different classes or some other problem. The other SS rule is that it has to be OE wheels, so how would that be handled? The rules would get more messy. Just a thought, maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

If they go that route, I don't think that they should give an exemption to SV racers only; the 5.5" rim width should be open to all bikes in the lightweight class. Supersport rules already allow bikes with 16" or 18" wheels to replace with 17" of the same width, so maybe just eliminate the rim width requirement...
Jared Herbig - CCS #323
Thanks to: Spears Racing - TSE

Tammy857

apriliaman

The biggest grids for SV are in the mid atlantic area.The fastest SV's out there I've seen have stock or upgraded wheels and get the same laptimes.
3 National Championships

MACOP1104

Quote from: apriliaman on August 29, 2014, 07:14:14 PM
The biggest grids for SV are in the mid atlantic area.The fastest SV's out there I've seen have stock or upgraded wheels and get the same laptimes.

Two issues here really.  #1,  SV racers with the 4.5 rim do not have a full selection of tires from all the manufacturers.  Riders that prefer Bstone or Micheln do not have a 160 DOT race tire so lwss is not an option.  #2  Riders that can only afford to buy one set of tires will opt for the slicks and skip lwss.

The WERA rule says SV riders can use a gsxr 5.5 or an F3 5.0 wheel.   CCS should allow the SV the bigger wheel option or allow slicks in lwss.  Problem solved.

Cowboy 6

Quote from: HerbigCBR on August 29, 2014, 02:07:07 PM

How do think CCS would feel for allowing slicks in one supersport class and not the others (like MWSS and HWSS)?

I have requested allowing Unlimited to run slicks in SS before. It was shot down. WERA allows it. I will not be running SS with CCS next year as a result. I find it ridiculous to have to develop the bike for two different tires.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

apriliaman

I can see the point as Bridgestone makes a 160 but it is not a true  dot race tire like the R10.Same for Michelin they make 160 but not a race tire.
3 National Championships

tony216

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on August 30, 2014, 08:05:39 AM
I have requested allowing Unlimited to run slicks in SS before. It was shot down. WERA allows it. I will not be running SS with CCS next year as a result. I find it ridiculous to have to develop the bike for two different tires.

I think all SS classes should be allowed to use slicks, especially LWSS. Like Joe said, if you're using slicks, you have one, maybe two classes (600 riders) where you can't use them. I think for most riders, they aren't a big performance advantage, they just last longer. Those guys winning expert races might feel different about that, but most people can't claim to be consistently winning expert races.

As far as the SV goes, it needs to rule change more than any of the other bikes.