Should the GSXR565 (and similar bikes) be outlawed?

Started by MACOP1104, July 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM

Grady

Quote from: britx303 on June 26, 2018, 06:33:41 PM
I want a 565!! :biggrin:
The elimination of "vintage" classes and replacement with "Classic" adds in interesting addition to this thread. Build your 565 from a 2006 or earlier R6 or Gixxer600 and run it in Lightweight Classic. Then you will have four races in LW that you can run your 565 in. I guess Vintage did not attract enough riders to make it financially feasible for CCS. I bought a nice FZR400 and built it to race LW vintage.
I raced it once and two weeks later had a crash on my other bike that I was trying to sell riding less than 100 ft to tech not wearing a helmet. Left in a helicopter. ALWAYS wear your helmet when riding. I would say most riders do not wear their helmet to tech. Including me. Stupid stupid stupid.
Away from the track from that injury for a year but was planning on a comeback of sorts at Daytona on the FZR. New rules made the decision to try car racing easy.
Pondering it though as my 2005 Bimota/Ducati air cooled 1100 twin would be legal in Classic MW by the new silly rules. Oh....I would have to take off the BST Carbon wheels and put the stock OZ mags back on.
Not gonna do that either. I supported the Vintage attempt by CCS when they introduced it. But 2006 isn't vintage anything.
But from an income to CCS standpoint there are plenty of 2006 and earlier bikes running modern classes already at the track so for another class to race the numbers may work out better for the club.
See you guys at the track but will most likely be spectating.
Back on topic: The 565 rule, I believe was made so FZR400s could be competitive with the onslaught of SVs dominating LW. I remember one that was over 100hp but not always reliable.
But the rule has been on the books for a long time. Why it is there is irrelevant. The folks who figured out they could fit in the class legally with a destroked 600 are racing within the rules. Very creative.
I have heard some bad mouthing about them and it is uncalled for. Rulebook interpretation and maximization of the rules is part of racing. Cheating is not. OK it is but it should not be. 565s are not cheaters. Get over it.
If enough people approached CCS and wanted the rule changed I am certain it would be considered.
"CCS may refactor any bike...." But in the meantime have some respect for the creative builds.
Cheers!

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: Grady on December 11, 2018, 07:19:42 PM
The elimination of "vintage" classes and replacement with "Classic" adds in interesting addition to this thread. Build your 565 from a 2006 or earlier R6 or Gixxer600 and run it in Lightweight Classic. Then you will have four races in LW that you can run your 565 in. I guess Vintage did not attract enough riders to make it financially feasible for CCS. I bought a nice FZR400 and built it to race LW vintage.
I raced it once and two weeks later had a crash on my other bike that I was trying to sell riding less than 100 ft to tech not wearing a helmet. Left in a helicopter. ALWAYS wear your helmet when riding. I would say most riders do not wear their helmet to tech. Including me. Stupid stupid stupid.
Away from the track from that injury for a year but was planning on a comeback of sorts at Daytona on the FZR. New rules made the decision to try car racing easy.
Pondering it though as my 2005 Bimota/Ducati air cooled 1100 twin would be legal in Classic MW by the new silly rules. Oh....I would have to take off the BST Carbon wheels and put the stock OZ mags back on.
Not gonna do that either. I supported the Vintage attempt by CCS when they introduced it. But 2006 isn't vintage anything.
But from an income to CCS standpoint there are plenty of 2006 and earlier bikes running modern classes already at the track so for another class to race the numbers may work out better for the club.
See you guys at the track but will most likely be spectating.
Back on topic: The 565 rule, I believe was made so FZR400s could be competitive with the onslaught of SVs dominating LW. I remember one that was over 100hp but not always reliable.
But the rule has been on the books for a long time. Why it is there is irrelevant. The folks who figured out they could fit in the class legally with a destroked 600 are racing within the rules. Very creative.
I have heard some bad mouthing about them and it is uncalled for. Rulebook interpretation and maximization of the rules is part of racing. Cheating is not. OK it is but it should not be. 565s are not cheaters. Get over it.
If enough people approached CCS and wanted the rule changed I am certain it would be considered.
"CCS may refactor any bike...." But in the meantime have some respect for the creative builds.
Cheers!

FYI De-stroked 565 are not legal in Lightweight Classic
There are only 2 lightweight classes that a destroked 565 is currently legal for Lightweight GP and GTLights, guess there is third if you are over 40 as F40Light follows LGP rules
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Grady

Thanks Eric.
I must have overlooked where in the Lightweight Classic specs it was pointed out that destroking a model year eligible bike was not legal.I'll look again but am glad to hear it. But a built up FZR400 to a 565 would be correct? Otherwise why was that displacement added to the class when going from LW Vintage to LW Classic? Regardless, I am not spending the money on my very cherry FZR400 to make it a 565 so it will be more competitive in the LW Classic class. Not sure what I will do with it.
And this highlighted in the rulebook: Includes all carbureted machines through 2006 model year and all fuel               injected machines through 2002 model year. So my comment above about my Bimota being legal in MW Classic is in error. It is fuel injected.

britx303

As a part-time vintage racer I will admit that I ain't gonna complain about vintage going away. It would have been nicer if all the vintage WERA racers in the mid-atlantic region would have actually gridded up, since most don't want to drive to georgia once or twice a month just to do a regional. Thank you to CCS for trying to do something with vintage anyways. The classic still deserves a longer lifeline though......... :jammin: