Should the GSXR565 (and similar bikes) be outlawed?

Started by MACOP1104, July 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: Wolfie109 on January 09, 2016, 08:50:41 AM
After reading as much as I can about this topic, I was curious if there was a definitive approval from CCS that the so called cripple triples are allowed in the Lightweight classes.
Triple regardless of build method, factory, destroked/bored Triumph/MV, deactivated cylinder 4 etc limited to 500cc liquid cooled 4 stroke.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

bruce71198

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on January 12, 2016, 06:36:36 PM
Triple regardless of build method, factory, destroked/bored Triumph/MV, deactivated cylinder 4 etc limited to 500cc liquid cooled 4 stroke.
What displacement can a  de-strocked 4 cylinder be for LW classes?

TEvans

If you want to run a 600 then run it in the Middleweight class where it belongs.....

kvanengen

I can't believe this conversation is still going on. I remember caring about this a few years back for about a day. Personally, though I run an SV and in theory would be put at a disadvantage if the 565 becomes legal, I just don't really care, it's CLUB RACING! And on that same note, it's CLUB RACING, so why go through the effort of taking a perfectly good 600 and detuning it so you can race Lightweight. Seriously, that is one of the most foolish things I've heard in a while. If you want to run a 600 than just man up and race it in middleweight. If you want to race lightweight than simply buy any damn SV650 and run it. It's not like there is a shortage of SV650 bikes around.

Everyone is overthinking this and I'm not sure why. Just buy the bike that is designed for the class you intend on running and SHUT UP AND RIDE!

That is all. Good Day!

bruce71198

Quote from: kvanengen on January 20, 2016, 10:58:21 AM
I can't believe this conversation is still going on. I remember caring about this a few years back for about a day. Personally, though I run an SV and in theory would be put at a disadvantage if the 565 becomes legal, I just don't really care, it's CLUB RACING! And on that same note, it's CLUB RACING, so why go through the effort of taking a perfectly good 600 and detuning it so you can race Lightweight. Seriously, that is one of the most foolish things I've heard in a while. If you want to run a 600 than just man up and race it in middleweight. If you want to race lightweight than simply buy any damn SV650 and run it. It's not like there is a shortage of SV650 bikes around.

Everyone is overthinking this and I'm not sure why. Just buy the bike that is designed for the class you intend on running and SHUT UP AND RIDE!

That is all. Good Day!

This from the guy with THE most over engineered SV on the planet. Ya, it's club racing.

LWT Racer

Quote from: bruce71198 on January 11, 2016, 02:37:27 PM
I would like to see that play out. Do you think if one could get a 100hp out of a cripple it could do battle with the Duc?

No, a good Duc will crush a cripple tripple.  Those Ducs are so insanely fast when built.....
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

kvanengen

Haha well played, Bruce. If you know my equipment, you know damn well that the bike I ride in most races is nothing special. It's not the lightest or fastest out there. On the other hand, yes, my SB is a wicked SOB. But again, I hardly ride it. In fact, I rode it in two races last year. Let me take this even further. The motor I ran until the last race weekend was bone stock. I bought for $250 with 30k miles on it.

Farmboy

I like butter. I like it on bread, popcorn, and especially blueberry waffles.

Sometimes, I even just eat plain old butter, by itself. Just a little bit, though, not even a full pat or anything like a spoonful, oh no.
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

dmj_88

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on January 12, 2016, 06:36:36 PM

This got me thinking, why is the displacement cap for a liquid cooled 4 cylinder MORE than that of a liquid cooled 3 cylinder in LWGP

I have no horse in this race (a good thing since it would have been beaten to death by now) just curious.

perform66

Quote from: LWT Racer on July 13, 2014, 10:13:16 AM
I think saying performance advantage is bad wording. There are a ton of bikes now in the lightweight class that have similar performance a better question would be "at what point is a bike no longer a "lightweight" bike?" 

110hp+ is not lightweight.  That is middleweight performance.
160mph+ is not lightweight. That is middleweight.

I'm not saying those things because I want the SV to remain the top of the lightweight food chain.  I have no issue if another bike, say the FZ-07 is actually good, take over the crown.  I would love for there to be 4-5 different makes of 650/700 twins out there. 

Yes, the rules have been in place for awhile.  But you have to look at what the lightweight class is about and it's not HP race.  565/Big Ducs are hardly LW bikes anymore.  They have created this point and shoot racing in the LWT field which just shouldn't be.   I'm not saying all the Ducati's are guilty.  I don't want them outlawed, I like the bikes.  But the 1100's should be Thunderbike and thats it.

I think one rule change should be that the GT Lights (for team challenge and sprint) should be Superbike rules, not GP.   This won't happen but it would help.