Should the GSXR565 (and similar bikes) be outlawed?

Started by MACOP1104, July 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM

Kurlon

You don't need to go to the rods to verify stroke.  Rods don't alter stroke.  Take the head off and roll the motor over, find TDC, note how far from the top the edge of the piston is.  Find BDC, note how far from the top the edge of the piston is.  Subtract the TDC measurement from the BDC measurement and you have the stroke of the motor.  Next measure the bore.  Simple math tells you the displacement from there, the length of the rods will have zero impact on those numbers.

trace33chargers

I thought they did have a bore and stroke tool that just slipped down through the spark plug hole. Not 100% accurate I'm sure, but accurate enough to see if displacements are reasonable.

LWT Racer

I will donate to who ever wants to protest one. :)

Jason, you're not gonna get CCS to verify these 565's before they race. Just won't happen.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

LWT Racer

Why can inline 4's be 565cc but three cylinders only 500cc? Doesn't make sense if in middleweight 675 is limit..

Three cylinder, liquid cooled, up to 500cc
Four cylinder, liquid cooled, up to 565cc
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

Gino230

This is the same discussion that's had every season. (Not that I mind something new to read on the forum) :) This is club racing and tech inspection can't be tearing down every bike on a whim. That's why the protest system is in place. If you feel someone is cheating, put up the $$ and have the heads removed. Not sure about other races, but the Daytona 200 it's specifically stated that failure to allow your machine to be measured is a $1000 fine and some type of suspension.

Also don't expect immediate gratification- the rules state you're allowed to put off the teardown until the end of the day's racing. Last one I saw the head being taken off of was Barrett Long's 800SS in Homestead. And it was legal. In 15 years I've never seen one upheld, actually. Most protests are lost, or the person withdraws.

I was all set to protest the Buells at Daytona back in '08 for the LWSS race. They didn't show up to tech and in the interest of sportsmanship, I asked someone to go get them. When they did show up, the airbox was not stock so we never got as far as the millennium cylinders....didn't have to go there.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that CCS had a tool that could slip in the spark plug hole and measure bore and stroke- but that was at a MW race, not sure if they have it in FL. Also only works when the spark plug hole is at the exact center of the head- not offset or angled in any way.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Gino230

Same reason twins are allowed up to 850? And singles unlimited?
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

LWT Racer

you don't get it gino.

In middleweight . 600cc 4cyl, 675cc 3cyl.
in lightweight gp.  565cc 4cyl, 500cc 3cyl.  <- that doesn't make sense. Why would 4 cyl get higher displacement?

500cc triple is good for lightweight.  4 cylinder should be 450cc which is good for lightweight.  That's AFM's ruling.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

Gino230

Ahhh I see what you're saying.

I think it was written that way with specific bikes in mind- i.e. punching out an FZR 400 to 565.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23

LWT Racer

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

apriliaman

Yep Gino rule was mostly for the FZR 400.When you make it to 565 you will have anywhere from 85-100hp.I do know an FZR 600 with lots of mods and has 97hp they race in WERA and win races.At summit point they only do 23's which would be mid pack in expert CCS LW.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Capitalview

I say get rid of the GP classes all together.  That way this whole discussion is moot.

I love the word moot!

Moot!  Moot!  Moot!  Moot!

jfboothe

Just curious if this was new for MCRA this year?

6.2.2. Light weight GT displacement limits are absolute and are set as follows:
LIGHTWEIGHT GT (Amateur & Expert Divisions)
1. Single cylinder, unlimited displacement
2. Two stroke, liquid cooled, up to 450cc
3. Two stroke, air cooled, unlimited displacement
4. Twin cylinder, air cooled, up to 1210cc
5. Twin cylinder, liquid cooled, non-desmodromic valves, up to 800cc
6. Four cylinder, liquid cooled, up to 565cc
7. Four cylinder, air cooled, 2 valve, up to 750cc
NOTE: BMW HP2 machines and destroked 600cc inline 4 cylinder bikes are excluded from the Lightweight class.